What turned you on to catfishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by KatfishKyle, Jun 18, 2008.

1. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    Just wondering what it was that turned you on to fishin for cats? For me, it was growing up going catfishin with my dad, he loves to night fish for channels at Salt Fork and surrounding areas. But he has no time anymore cause he works so much. And its the thrill of "how big?" Anywhere from 1-100+ lbs, ya just never know. So, Id just like to hear what it was that made you avid catfishermen. Thanks.

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    At the time I started fishing with my dad he alwawys told me it did not matter what you are fishing for the object was to and try to defeat it in his waters without useing 100lb lines so I started at a very young age fishing for gill's because they always said I was to little to go on them alnighters and as I grew up and started going with him I just fell for old Mr. Wiskers and never stopped fishing for them, but i still like fishing for them gill's and what ever might bite, weather frash are salt water . Thats my story

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    it started because of my daddy ,i know iam old to say it that way but that was what he was . now ian daddy and take my girls almost when ever they want to go .

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hmmm......never fished for cats, until this one time - that I got a new bf and he was an avid catfisherman. Still wouldn't say that I'm avid, although I'd like to be.

Grandad and Dad fished for bass and trout, so that's what I grew up eating. I like catfish better than both of 'em (YES I EAT THEM).

It's hard for me to imagine someone being introduced to fishing and not enjoying it, but to each his own I suppose. Life on the water is a wonderful thing, just wish I was there all of the time.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I was raised up doing all kinds of fishing but one of the main reasons I turned on to catfishing is all the different methods that can be used. Rod and reel, trotlining, jugs, etc. all of these are very good and fun methods for catching cats just depends on what you are in the mood to do or if ya got the time you can do it all in a week on vacation if ya want not to mention that cats get much bigger than any ole bass.

Another reason that I went to mostly catfishing was all the commercialization over bass fishing and turning it into nothing but a sport. I like to eat bass as much as I do any good fish but when they started putting length limits on all the lakes for bass it just took the fun outta catchin them for me knowing that I couldn't eat which ones I chose to. I have always practiced catch and release but selectively. For instance if I caught a big bass that was during pre - spawn and she was full of eggs I released her so she would have a chance to replenish what I and others have taken from the lakes. Kinda like saying thank you for letting me have the pleasure in catching some fish for a meal I returned some back to nature in gratitude.

With catfishing their are no slot limits or length limits but I also know that if you catch any over ten pounds that they aren't very good eating and I turn them loose. But with the versatility of catfishing I can enjoy all kinds and styles of fishing that I have learned over the years. And.... I can sure catch something alot bigger than any ole bass.

6. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Well we always went camping and fishing when we was kids with my family. I can remember staying in a cabin on a creek bank and fishing for catfish. I fish for all kinds of diferent kinds of fish a multispecies fisherman if you will,so Ive always fished for cats but never hard core. My buddy at work was telling me about a nice cat he caught and it kinda got me going again. My son-in-law goes all the time so I started going with him. Now ive found this site met all kinds of good people like firechief4201 and his family,ryang,river runt, and my good fishing buddy catfishjohn. Ive met all kinds of nice people on line and pmd with them. Ive talked to alot of guys on the phone Rollo,jerry60k, and goldfish and a few others and now All I wanna do is go catfihing. So thats how I got re-started cattin. Now there is no looking back. Oh I still like to bass,trout,carp,sauger,panfish etc. etc. But I really like catfishing. Oh and it was a good excuse to buy more fishin gear!!!:big_smile::smile2::wink:

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I started to delete some of your quote before posting, but NAH. I'm stuck on your signature line......"whoever dies with the most lures wins?" Maybe not. Depends on what you're fishin' for.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    You mean there are other fish to catch?????:crazy::wink::tounge_out::smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got started cattin at a fairly young age for flathead catfish. I started fishing with my uncle, his buddy and another guy that is known by many for his flathead expertise in the In-fisherman mag. when I was in my early teens. The first site of these fish, and their fighting capabilites had me hooked even before the first big fish for myself. After I hooked my first 20 pounder, it was all over from there. The unknown has always been a facination to me. And, the competitive side to catch what is there also pushed me at a young age. I haven't lost any ambition since then, but time, family, and work, also play a role in how much I get to pursue these great creatures! I now get to fish atleast one night a week, with the occassional two. But, what I gained at a young age from my mentors I will have for a lifetime and hope to share with my children some day.....rollo

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    my dad.we started out with channels.then started camping at a lake that stocked flats,musta been maybe 11 or 12 when i started for flats.younger when i started for channels.

11. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    The sound of an old gas latern, a small fire, lean too made from a poncho and quietly watching my father sitting on a five gallon bucket deep in thought. Never knowing what he was thinking of, but as I grew to an adult I believe I know know. That is why I love catfishing, plus it is one of the largest fresh water species to go after that fights like a mule.

12. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    It is the friendships you develop along the way that got me into catfishing. Sitting on the bank with my Dad and brother as a kid or hanging with some friends all night on the river bank in high school. Catfishing is a great opportunity to relax and hang out. Every time I go I have a great time even if we don't catch any thing, that is what it is all about.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Started out catching bluegills and bass at a young age with my dad. In my teens, I was able to actually go to friends houses and farms who have private ponds and lakes. These private lakes and ponds were stocked with big channel cats who were fed protein pellets and were on steroids.

For the next 6 years, I spent many hours chumming up 3 foot freak of nature channel cats and catching them on light spinning tackle.

Another one of these ponds had flatheads in them. First time I saw that 50lb flat, I was hooked for life.

I never have caught my 50lber, but if I keep at it for the next 4o years, I'm sure I will one day luckily stumble upon one.

14. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    When I was a young boy my mother used to take me carp fishing. We would catch 15 to 20lbs carp and then accidently catch a channel using corn and zebco rod and reels. Still enjoy carp fishing with ultra light tackle.

15. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I never really per say started catfishing, it was more of a way of life for me. At an early age, I think I was 3 when my Dad took me to the river. My dad and his 7 brothers grew up on the Washita River here in Oklahoma. Always fishing or coon hunting. Growing up I spent alot of time on that river, and the surrounding lakes.

16. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    I grew up in Georgia, and down there catfish are all over. So from that i just enjoyed fishing for them than anyother fish.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had no one to teach me, but I had a love for the outdoors at a young age, the first fish I ever caught was a channel cat, and I was hooked for life.

18. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    My Dad got me into catfishin. He was the most hardcore catman that I have ever met. Rain, sleet, wind or snow he was fishin for cats. That all he fished for. I have been fishin since before I could walk and have been fishin ever since. I love it more than anything. I am grateful that my wife feels the same way.:big_smile: I will fish until I cant anymore and when I go my ashes will be put in the river, the same as my Dad.

Attached Files:

19. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

I have fished since i was two years old, i was VERY fortunate to have a father and grandfather like i did. I have had a love for fishing that has only grown stronger over the years, catfishing just interested me at a young age, really cool looking fish especially at a young age...but iguess what really hooked me on cats is its never to late to go catfishing. I been sitting at home at 9;30 or 10:00 and thought what the heck, grab the rods and hit the river for an hour or two. Some of those nights have been so productive i happened to develop a 24 hour flue that required me to stay fishing all night,
    instead of going to work in the morning.:wink:

20. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Years ago I broke down and actually read our local state fishing guide and regulation book. I focused mostly on state records. And bass, bluegills, and carp seem to be a good source of bait for catfish. Our local lakes are full of bait and some nice cats, but nothing to beat a state record size. At least I havent found any yet.
    That and Ive met some bass fisherman that tend to snub their nose at me when I tell them Im fishing for cats, not all, but some of them do.
    I dont always target cats, but when I do, Im usually catching some good eaters.