what truck do I need?

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by poopdeck [patrick], Oct 30, 2008.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I have a 1978 fiberglass 17 ft ranger boat. it is kinda of heavy. I am looking to buy a old truck to pull it with but I do not want a gas hog. any ideals. Would a small 4 cylinder ranger do it?

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Buy a truck that will Handle the work, or you will regret it..
    You don't want the tail waggin the dog.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I think you would be happier with a full size with a small motor, I pulled mine with a 89 Chev with a 4.3 V6. it did well. I use a 2002 with a 5.3 now it does good also

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Most any full size 1/2 ton will do the job.

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I dont think you would have a problem with an S10 or Ranger with a V6, but you usually get almost as good, if not as good mileage with a full size. I know my 98 S10 w/ 4.3 V6 is rated to pull 6000 according to the manual. I dont think i would pull 6000, but 3000 shouldn't be a problem. Lock out overdrive and it'll pull fine. A small truck with a 4 banger might pull it, but i personally would want more power. Just remember, if you dont have brakes on that trailer, a fullsize will stop MUCH better with its bigger brakes and all. Nothing will make you hafta change your shorts quicker than having someone pull out in front of you with a heavy trailer in tow. If your boat is as heavy as you make it sound, a fullsize with V8 might get better mileage pulling than a small truck because the V8 wont have to work as hard. If its mainly just gonna pull your boat anyway, unloaded mileage isn't that big of a deal (i'm guessing).

6. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    Now, there is always that exception to any rule, but you USUALLY dont have problems with this on boat trailers. The axle/axles are usually far enough back that there is sufficient tongue weight with the boat on it to keep from having this problem IMHO.

7. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Everythings a gas hog. Least it is when you put a trailer behind it and use gasoline. Not sure how much you want to spend, but a diesel will remain the same on gas mileage with a small boat behind it. The big killer of gas milage is wind shear. The bigger the trailer the more air you pull. I can pull my 13K work trailer, which is flat and low, and get better milage than my 6K camper.

8. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    As has been said get a big enough one so it don't havework so hard and the miage will be better

9. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Get a 1 1/2 ton Dodge 4500. Then,you never have to worry about it. Just kidding. I have a crew cab ford f150 with the big v-8. I haven't needed all the power yet. I would get a 1/2 ton with a small v-8 and a manual transmission. That way you choose the gear,and cheaper maintenance on the tranny.

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea,The post about the brakes,, Real good
    The post about big motor not havin to work so hard compared to a little runty, puny motor,,,Real good
    The post about relative gas mileage,,mmm, Real good
    The post about getting a Ford F-150,,, :wink:

11. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I love my F150. Had a 06' Dodge crewcab. Hated it.

12. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    Like the auto-tech teacher in high school said...."if you're working on vehicles for a living, they will ALL make you money, no matter what brand." I'm starting to hate my s10 for all its problems, but its getting older, and its had a hard life.....got it my senior year of high school....enuff said.

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Some one posted full size with small engine. Some one said standard tranny. If the only towing you do is your boat. I would go with short bed full size with 5spd. tranny and V6. This is what I use to pull my boat and have on occasions pulled 6000 # trailer and load. When not pulling a trailer it gets about 21 to 24 mpg Depending on whether I'm driving 55 or 70 mph. Not all will do this though it depend on the axle ratio you have.

14. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I said small v-8,manual tranny. With these newer trucks,the v6 and small v8 seem to get the same mileage,with dodge anyways. The only difference I see with them is 2 cylinders,and more power and torque.