What treestand to get???

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kycatman01, Jul 16, 2006.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i am thinking of purchasing a climbing treestand. does anyone have any suggestions. i would like to have a light weight stand that will hold around 250+ lbs.

2. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Id suggest the Summit Viper,its a simple light weight climber,easy to set up and its as quiet as a climber can be,they are perfect for bowhunting. if you want for for gun hunting the viper is a good choice too but id suggest the Summit shooter or summit shooter2 boss..they have rails on em for resting your gun on and make ya feel a little more secure while up in a tree...they arent to expensive either..any thing you choose ya cant go wrong with a Summit for there quality and price...good luck

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yep summits are good...

but i would suggest getting a gorilla tree stand....
    great price.... tons of room... just great all around tree stands.... heck i know in the future im gonna get more of em

just get some ladder things and strap them to a tree then strap ur tree stand to the tree and ur ready to go....

but they will hold a good ammount of weight... i weigh 196 and im sure they would hold well into 250 but i would check B4 buying

we also have a summit climber and it is OK but it makes a lot of noise when u climb up in it which i think they changed their design.... but i dont know

hope this helps Jeff

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Summit Viper for sure. Its the only climber that I use.

5. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    The older steel summits have a climbing bar and if your lock nuts arnt tight enough or you havnt properly adjusted the bar to the size tree you are climbing itll sounds like a train going up a tree.the new summits use a coated climbing "chain" which is alot easier to adjust and makes next to no noise.
    my suggestion for the old climbers is when ya wrapped them around the base of a tree make sure you have an extreme angle on them,this will ensure that the stand will level out when ya get up to your height and also it ensures you are properly "sized" to the tree you are using. well i guess that goes for all climbers but not doing this is propably the culprit for the noise you are getting.

6. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Go with the Summit Goliath. I'm about 240 and with extra clothes on during the winter there's still plenty of room in this stand. Hangs very tight on the tree, easy to attach to the tree, quite, etc. A GREAT safety harness you'll wear since it always stays out of your way. You'll be VERY pleased. These stands are well worth the money.

7. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    This is not one of those times where you go cheap and then figure out you need to upgrade. Been there and done that. A summit viper or an API grand slam are excellant stands. I can sit in either for 6-8 hours. And thats what it's all about, staying in the tree comfortable as long as you can. The more comfortable you are the easier it is to stay still also. My 2 cents worth.

Jeff

8. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    great suggestion about the saftey harness.never ever ever climb a tree without a saftey harness..you can get hurt even if your 6 foot off the ground..to many people every year find out the hard way.
    on anothe rnote one climber to stay away from is the tree lounge..this stand is extremly comfortable but its like packing a truck into the woods,its noisy and dern near impossible to set up alone,i got suckerd into buying one years ago and gave it away after i almost killed myself with it.......mine had the bow platform on it and man what a joke..the plat form is just big enough to barely stand on and is made of some crappy wood.....and its almost impossible to stand up quietly when your in a "lay down" postion....the experiance i had was this...i had a nice buck come up over a spoil bank hill on me one morning,i grabbed my bow and barely got up on my feet,the buck got about 20yrds from me and i sent and arrow through his boiler room,he went running through the brush and i had to stoop down a bit to see where he was going,when i bent down my foot slipped off the joke of a shooting platform and,i dropped my bow on the ground and grabbed the rail to keep from falling...i had my harness on but let me tell you its no fun to be hanging from a tree.but anywho good luck in your choice.

9. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    All I have to say is comfort. I have a summit and its ok but after hours in it can get really unconfortable. My buddie has an old man and he loves it but I dont know. You just have to look at what you have to spend and what options to get. I really like to have a foot rest can sit longer with it than without. Mine is hard to get everything together and off the tree as well. try and make the best choice you can and remember you will spending much more time sitting in it than carrying it. Just my opinion.

10. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I've got to where I prefer a lock on stand and climbing sticks to a climbing stand. I can put up a lock on stand up and leave it and just carry the climbing sticks in and out with me if I don't feel like I can leave them, like on public land. I've also gotten real fond of the smaller pop up ground stands that look like a small camo tent, kind'a nice sitting in one of these in a good lawn chair, I've had deer get within a few feet of these the last couple of season's and they hide your movement well.

11. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have to disagree with Madkatter on the tree lounge though. I have had 4 and have one of the new styles now. I also have a couple of Gorilla chain-ons and two buddy ladder stands and two pop-up ground blinds.

If you are going to hunt for a short time, say only 2 hours, about any stand will do. But if you going to stay from daylight to dark comfort becomes important. Above all, safety should be your major concern.

I have tried many stands and have yet to find one the long term comfort of the lounge. And it is the only stand that I sleep in, but it is heavy.

It is a pain to get in and out but once set, I have no complaints at all and I am primarily a bow hunter.

Which ever stand you get, know why you are getting it and how you plan to use it.

Robert