What Traps do you use for Beavers?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by flathead willy, Nov 14, 2005.

1. flathead willy

flathead willy New Member

State:
    Madison, MS
    I was wondering what kind of traps most of you use for coons and beavers.

2. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    220 killers in bucket cubby's are hard to beat where there is no chance of catching a dog. i use #2 longsprings that i've modified with a double jaw for all of my water trapping. my partner uses #11 longsprings.

3. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    Whats all great about longsprings? Me and Willy use 1 1/2 coilsprings for coons and 330 conibears for beaver and a few 110s for coons and other small game that are bucket sets.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Coons around here are a bit big for a 110 let alone a 220. I use mostly 1 1/2 coils for coons and 1 3/4 for everything else. Unless its bever then it's the 330.

5. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    the 110 conibears are too small for coon. they only have a 4 1/2 inch width. the 220's on the other hand have a 7 inch opening that make a great neck catch on even the very biggest coons that we have in my part of the country. every year i catch a bobcat or two in these traps right behind the ears that show very little signs of struggle. i don't know how big the coons are up in missouri but down here they do a really good job for me. as for as the issue about longsprings versus coilsprings goes, it's just a matter of personal preference. there is nothing wrong with coilsprings, i just like using longsprings more. beaver trapping-330's is the ticket......

6. KATMANDO

KATMANDO New Member

number 1 victor longspring. cut off the factory chain, with a j swival at the other end attach 1 1/2 feet of heavy chain. on the jaw side not the spring side. hold any coon out there. put a 2ft peice of white pvc pipe along any creek or lake 3inch works best at a 45 degree angle put a peice of smelly fish in it. place your trap right below lip of the pipe and wait. number 1 has no pelt damage also reduces chewing. trapping for me now is not about the money. but i do get permission to hunt some good land by thinning out the coons and yotes.

7. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    katmando, that sounds like some very good modifications you done to those traps. i know most people think the #2 victor longsprings are too big for coons and i have got to agree unless they have been modified. i drill 2 holes in one of the jaws a couple inches apart then bend a 20 penny nail three times to fit and then weld in place. this prevents the coon from being able to chew out. the pvc sets you describe work like a charm.

8. flathead willy

State:
    Madison, MS
    Im havin some problems with furbearers just pushing my snares out of the way. Any body know how to outsmart the little things?(Besides Dundee)

9. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    Well I recommend not using them willy hahaha but you have heard my comments let the pros tell you cause im more of a whiteman trapper (conibears, legholds, gunpowder-propelled projectiles) haha.

10. flathead willy

State:
    Madison, MS
    Oh yea I remember the gunpowder incident back when we were 7 haha that was a good time

11. crossxsticks

crossxsticks Member

State:
    oklahoma
    are they pulling the snare loop down tight or are they on a wire and the snare wire and all is turning ?

12. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    For coons, I use #11's. I did use some #1 1/2 coil springs last year and did well on the flat sets that I was making. I have used very few snares, as I was not raised on them. Killers work well for most every thing I found out. They are hi, but the work well and if you buy a good brand, they last for ever.

13. flathead willy

State:
    Madison, MS
    yes they are turning the wire and pushing it out of the way it seems.

14. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    for beaver use a 8 to 10 inch loop about 2 inches off the ground. 90% of them will be caught right behind both front legs.

for coon use a 6 to 7 inch loop about 4 inches off the ground.

i recomend using a very stiff support wire; 9 or 11 gauge. also you can take a sturdy, straight, stick that is a little bit bigger in diameter than a pencil. it's best to use a green on that is not skint up. take your pocket knife and split one end about an inch deep. stick one end in the ground and support your snare in the split.

do not get discouraged with knocked down snares, at least you know animals are using the trails. just keep doing things a little different until you figure it out.

15. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    anyone ever use those coon cuffs? the girlfriend's parents live in town and they have a bad coon problem with their trashcans. way too many dogs around to use a normal trap. ideas?

16. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Bayoubear,
    I havent used the cooncuff, But I have used little griz, They will work,their,
    The method as coon cuff, I personal, like the design better, use something sweet, jams jellys marshmellows are great, this way you dont get cats or skunks, another trick get an anise flavored fish jig [rubber] and put on trigger also.

17. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    thanks, ill keep that in mind. when i was a kid we used to make something very similar for coon. use an auger to bore a 1 inch hole in log/tree about three inches deep, hammer nails angled down inward into hole and put a piece of sardine in bottom of hole. i remember making them but darned if i can say if they ever worked or not so i dont guess they did. hahaha

18. crossxsticks

crossxsticks Member

State:
    oklahoma
    to keep the wire from turning bend a J hook on the bottom of it like a fish hook to speak and then with a small diameter rod notch the bottom and put it over the wire and drive it in to the ground this will keep the wire from turning when the wind blows or something touches it
    I use #9 wire with a whammy or a piece of vacuum hose (gates) on my snares when build them and the will fit the # 9 wire works great
    hope this helps .

19. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    willy are you referring to when you put my snare out and they pushed it out of the way?

20. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    i hate snares its about time to step up to the conibears