What Tool Do You Use To Remove Snaprings From Reels?

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by justwannano, Jan 14, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I just started taking apart an old shakespear open faced reel to clean and oil it.
    I don't usuallt disassemble the things. This one has 2 snap rings holding it together. I've never seen a snap ring tool small enough to remove the rings.
    I've got a couple pair of snapring pliers but nothing that small.
    Where do you get your tools?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Most automotive (parts) store carry snap ring pliers in assorted kits.:0a26: :0a17:

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Most of the time I use a small screwdriver (jeweler's screwdrivers work well if you happen to have some) to remove those. A good idea is to put it and your hands inside a clear plastic bag, so if/when it flies off into the wild blue yonder, it will be contained by the bag. :big_smile:

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yeah I have a couple of pairs of those. Nothing small enough to remove a snap ring 3/8 inch in diameter though.

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Otherwise know as the OS (abb.) tool. When the snap ring flies off, you say O_ S___!

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Before the clear plastic bags we held parts under clear water in a bucket for snap ring and small spring removal.A bright red sewing thread looped or tied around a tiny part the instant of removal helps keep from losing them.A cheap spool of thread will last a lifetime.I like cotton thread as solvents will not dissolve it.Pill bottles make excellent small parts containers.SS mixing bowls from Good Will are great for reels and gun disassembling and solvent soaking.You can also stand a Gun on it;s muzzle in one in a corner while the bore soaks.It will catch any excess or drainage and solvents never hurt the bowl and they will bend but not break.I even buy and use the little metal egg poaching cups as they have little handles and are perfect for many parts.Flatter bottom bowls are the best.A cheap white sheet spread tight with no wrinkles is best to work on and find small parts.Beware of old sheets with holes.The holes can and will lose parts.Fold your sheet if necessary.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Take a grinder to them till they fit...

~~~~~~~~~~
    Your artistic talents win the approval and applause of others.