What to you carry for Emergency/breakdown

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by inspectorart, Nov 28, 2005.

1. inspectorart

inspectorart New Member

State:
    Alexandria,Louisiana
    Im new to this forum though I have been lurking here for some time and its great.I was wondering what most people keep on board besides PFDs for emergencies and breakdowns.I usually fish alone or with my 12 yr old Daughter,and Im always thinking about any situations that could come up and what I would need to have aboard in case anything happens.We usually fish in the Red river and the biggest dangers are current,large barges.We have a 15ft 42in jon with a 25 mercury.THis is what I allways have stored in a .50cal ammo can in the back of the boat What else should I include?
    waterproof poncho
    socket set with sparkplug socket
    spare spark plugs
    screwdrives pliers etc
    matches and firemaking stuff
    extra waterpump impeller

2. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    firstaide kit spare batteries cellphone shrap knife extra fuel line extra pull rope hope that helps

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    heavy duty rope, 8x10 tarp, machette, first aid, cell phone charger, flares, tool kit, fire starting gear, batteries, lights, extra anchor rope.

4. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    paddles and oars

5. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    How about a fire extinguisher.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Inspectorart,
    These guys gave you some good advice there. You sound pretty mechanically minded (spare impeller). If you would seriously consider fixing the water pump on the river you should put a tube of silicone sealant in your tool kit. First aid kits can get bulky but at the least you should have a small bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide, triple anti biotic cream assorted band aids and something for bee stings. A spare boat plug, some ty-raps and spare fuses can be handy. Assuming you have a cell phone and good flashlight consider a spare anchor and rope. If for some reason you lose the primary anchor and then the motor quits the river is going to take you where it wants. The spare anchor will allow you to stay put until help arrives. As well as the fire making kit consider some non-flamable hand warmers and an extra poncho for daughter...W
    P.S. Fill in your profile!

7. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    How about a hand held weather radio ? I've been cought out on the water when a bad storm hit. I thought it was moving away from me, but it was moving around me and then hit ! I now have one that gives updated weather alerts. I now know way ahead of time whats coming my way and where it is expected to go. For 20 bucks this device might save your life. I also carry most of the above things that others have said.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Plenty of SMOKES! LOL! A cell phone and a membership with "Sea Tow"

9. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I totally agree on the weather radio, that is why I now carry a tarp and rope and machette. I got caught in a storm that lasted 6 hrs one night, had to go to shore and wait it out, we didnt have hardly any survival stuff that night, and its a lesson I will never forget.

10. inspectorart

inspectorart New Member

State:
    Alexandria,Louisiana
    Thanks for the responses!I will add the fire ext,pull rope fuel line and flashlight I allways have oars ,a sharp knife,cell phone and I check the weather before leaving home.I also dont usually carry a battery because I rarely use my trolling motor but I think Ill add that and a bilge pump!

11. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Don't forget your harmonica!

Extremely important when singing

Row, Row, Row Your Boat!

:p

12. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    I use my trolling motor as a backup,flare kit and radio with the codes for calling local fishing guides for help.

13. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Please think about the weather radio some more. On a river you may be able to get off the water in a hurry. Out on a big lake not close to shore, this radio just may save your life. Stoms in Texas blow up quick in the spring time (I'm sure stroms do the same elsewhere). I've been out and the weatherman said it was gonna be a chance of rain. Well, about 2 hours into fishin', a storm blew up and it looked as if it was gonna blow away from us. It wraped around us and hit us from the other side of the lake.

Now, I have a w. radio and now what the weather is doing all the time not just what some D.A. weatherman thinks it's gonna do.
    Just my thoughts......

14. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    How bout a compass/gps and binoculars.I've been caught in storms and fog here in Oklahoma and visibility can get bad no matter how good ya know yer area!

15. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    good idea for the weather radio I will be getting one this summer

16. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Some very good advice given here. You might want to get one of those air horns also. You never know when you just might need one.

With all this stuff mentioned above, I think your gonna need a (bigger )water tight container to hold it all....lol.

17. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For first aid kits, go to your local red cross. They have kits from small to large that are reasonably priced.

18. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    one of those battery jumper packs come in handy too. smaller and cheaper than another battery.

19. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I put in a marine radio over the summer. Some of our big lakes out here and the Delta is pretty hazzordous in the winter.

20. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Down here in the Lower 48 I have gotten relaxed as to what i take with me. in AK I always carrried a survival kit which included everthing needed to patch-up a serious wound, waterproof firestarter stuf, flares, a flashlight, food and water for several days and typically some type of firearm. I guess I just do nto feel the risk like I did up there where my vechicle was always serveral miles from me at best. Also the animal populations down here is nto what it is in ALaska, I do nto worry abotu being attacked by a Brown bear nearly as much. :p

-Brian