What to use to catch crappie

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by bird_dog2011, May 26, 2006.

1. bird_dog2011

bird_dog2011 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey guys i was blue gill fishig and i couldnt get ANY bluegills but i was getting to many crappies off of worms but now i keep going back and using the same bait and useing different baits but they just wont take it i havent even caught a single crappie sence that one day. So guys wht do i use for baits or jigs? you can pm me please.

2. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Did you try Minnows?

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Good question.:smile2:

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    The spawn may be on and they might not hit nothing until it's done. Try small white plastic grubs.

5. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Minnows work well or white grub jigs or depending on the water clarity you can try chartreus jigs.
    Different water temps, you might try deeper or more shallow and around submerged stuctures or under shaded tree areas.
    You can also try early morning or after the sun goes down.
    It all calls for different ideas for crappie.
    Hope this might help some.

6. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    You need to get your facts right. Crappie bite best during the spawn.

7. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Small ice jigs work well or fly's. Also a small red hook tipped with a lively minnow. Or if you use a beetle spin they work great. Strike king also has a small crank bait that works really well.

8. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    WE HAVE ALWAYS USED MINNOWS, WORMS, WHITE GRUB JIGGS OR YELLOW. COULD BE THAT YOU JUST DROPED INTO A SCHOOL OF CRAPPIE THAT DAY AND NOW THERE JUST NOT THERE.COULD BE A BIG FLATTY IN THE HOOD SO NO ONES COMING OUT TO PLAY!!:big_smile:

9. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    For crappie, i would suggest Hot pink grubs with a little piece of worm on the end of the hook.

10. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
  11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I always use minnows for crappie.

12. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I would say that minnows are the best for constant catches. However, once we were out and just got skunked! The crappie would not bite at all so we decided to get off the water. An older gent pulled up next to us at the dock with a cooler full of crappie. We asked him the wheres and whats and he told us he was using an artificial white cricket. he was even nice enough to give us one to try. We whent right back out and caught a little less than a dozen in maybe 15 min. They tore it up literally, so we had to go.

13. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    red dollfly on 6lb test of a flyrod fishing popers

14. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    whats works really affective for me is a 1/8oz lead jig head with a 3inch stale green colored rubber grub worm tipped with night crawler... saugeye are very fond of this lil bait as well..

15. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    ive caught most of my crappie on minnows so try them

16. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    I normally just use tube jigs and tightline over stumps etc. in my local 3500 acre lake but this morning tried something different for me. I had 2 crankbaits left over from my bassing days and started trolling them using the TM between 1.2 and 1.7 mph. Lost one crank pretty quick and desided to try something off the wall. Had some 1/4 oz RR heads and put a weight above the line and a 3" twister tail on the heads. Caught 21 keepers between 6:30 and 10:00 AM. Still have to refine my technique, speed,depth and rod and reel selection etc. Will be picking up some more cranks to try. It is just too hot down here to sit still or almost still. Anyone have any hints to help? Water was between 12 and 20 feet deep but I think the fish were suspended.

17. General

General New Member

State:
    Michigan
    i mostly use beatle spins and rooster tails. that has worked the best for me.
    -josh-

18. dmc888

dmc888 New Member

State:
    Lake in the hills, IL
    Small minnows work best for me. I have to hook them in the tail or else they will die from being hooked in the head or back. I like to use a skinny balsa wood bobber and a small splitshot weight for minnows. Medium size minnows will work too but they seem to go for the small ones faster.

My favorite lure setup is a pinky jig that has a white head and pink feathers thats pinky size. I use it with a small regular red and white bobber. I adjust the length from 6inch to 2 ft usually. Pop and reel it in slowly.

I tend to have better luck around midnight with minnows.

19. dcmust

dcmust New Member

State:
    missouri
    I would use minnows and if no luck try to put on a little jig head with a blue and white or red and white tube and stick a minnow through the bottom lip on the back of the jig hook. Caught lots of nice ones this way.

20. arync

arync New Member

State:
    virginia
    I caught a lot of crappie the last 2 days using live and dead minnows under a bobber 3-4 feet deep in the shallows or suspended near cover like a logs and rocks in the water.