What to use.... my stocked pond is having problems

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by OklahomaFever, Jul 21, 2006.

1. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hi guys i need a little help... my pond has perch,mud cats, channels and bass... whenever i fish for channels i catch more mud cats then channels is there any way that i can catch channels with a special bait... have try... liver,bluegill (live), stink and dip baits...

Thanks for everything

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It always seems that the fish you don't want are the most prolific breeders. Mud cats can and will eventually take over a pond if you don't have a large enough base of fish that eat the mudcats. Bass are good for that, but they are not selective as to mudcat or channel cats. You may try to give nature a helping hand over a period of a few years and simply remove/destroy the mudcats as you catch then. Even run a seine through areas of the pond with just the intent of getting rid of the mud cats. They were probably there when the basa and channels were stocked, as the states generally don't stock mudcats due to their nuisance values. Sorry to say it, but you have a problem.

3. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I am not sure what you call mud cats. I think they are probably what I call bullheads. If that is the case I truly believe they eat EVERYTHING in sight. They are as bad or worse than a bunch of turtles. I don't know of a bait for channel cats that they will leave alone.

I'd say AwShucks has some pretty good advice. Do what you can to get them out of the pond. If we are talking bullheads, they do make pretty fair flathead bait. A few friends getting their bait out of you pond several times just might get that population down some.

Good luck.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Eat more mudcats. Invite about 50 people over catch all the fish you can and have a big fish fry with only the mudcats/bullheads. Do this a few times and no more problems.

5. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    there are a pretty big problem... i guess i could use them for flat head bait at the river... but oh well... i have some 5 lb channels in there... but i catch one to every 10 bullhead...

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    How large is yer pond? Gallon wise or is it a natural or both?

7. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Not sure about this but i have heard that if you toss in a flathead or two the bullheads disappear. now you have to go catch a flathead.

8. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    catch a flathead or two lol... the pond is 2 1/2 acres... so its decent size..

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Put a couple of flathead into a pond that size and everything will start to disappear. FAST.

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You need more and bigger bass. I used to love to eat mudcats (bullheads ) up to 8 inches long. They compare to flaathead meat,very sweet. I once watched a 5lb bass eat about 150 bullhead minnows in a few minutes. They would gather into a ball and the bass would swim through and eat as many a it could , then go about 10ft away and wait until the gathered bck up and do it agian. We could not keep small bullheads in the pond un til the bass got cleared out. this was in a 1/2 acre strip pit. I wanted panfish and bullheads for the little kids to catch .