What to use for homemade bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by txcatfisher, Aug 28, 2007.

1. txcatfisher

txcatfisher New Member

State:
    texas
    i have wondering on what to use for home made bait something that is fast easy and of course cheap to make. i love fishing with fresh shad but sometimes you just cant get none when you are in hurry :eek:oooh:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I try to always have some cured chicken livers on hand, but they aren't quick to make. The quickest, easiest, and cheapest thing I can think of is to get some bacon or salt pork and use it for bait. Bacon will stay on the hook better than I thought it would before I tried it; and salt pork just stays on forever.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brenden I see you are from Texas.If you have access to the gulf or shrimp fisherman you have a good bait at your finger tips. You might check with some shrimp markets also. Take the shrimp and soak in garlic. Works great. Good luck.:big_smile:

4. UncleD

UncleD New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Loui
    Just read the post by Catfish Trainer and I have a couple of questions:

What would be a good substitute for the Big Red soda, I haven't seen that brand in stores here.

What is the purpose of the Anacin tablets?

Thanks

5. txcatfisher

txcatfisher New Member

State:
    texas
    i have never heard that before but i gonna try that. "MARINES FOREVER"

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    They are many, many combinations you can make. Some will work some wont at all. Some will work one day and not the other. Some will catch you 10 cats in an hour then never work again(i had this happen to me). The cheapest since you said cheap is to take some bread and dip it in chicken blood and or strawberry syrup. Shrimp with Garlic and or Anise extract works too(but neither shrimp or good anise extract is cheap..lol). A piece of bread dipped in Sardine and or Tuna juice works good(sometimes just plain bread). One important thing bring different type as mentioned earlier you never know what will work on any given day or hour for that matter....

7. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    around here when commercial fishermen couldn't get live bait they would use irish potatoes. Boil them for just a few min. just to soften them just a little not much. cube them up and put them on your hooks. You can also add scent to them cause potatoes soaks it up.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Kevin that is one method I had never heard of. I may experiment a little with it.:wink:

9. catfishermanstiles

catfishermanstiles New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    any thing you can find makes the best bait you have to belive it will work first and second make sure it stinks I mean stink

10. catfishermanstiles

catfishermanstiles New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    use flour - crisco or lard and chettos - crush chettos - crisco or lard
    add flour make a little ball will stay on hook if want to melt crisco in pan add chettos till nice and yellow and ceamy add flour let cool then you can make litttle balls this way

11. idoc_chaney

idoc_chaney New Member

State:
    arkansaw
    Guess this Arky is hungry; I'm reading thru some of the posts and dangit boys some of these homemade recipes sound plenty good enuf for me!
    Joe down in southwest ark watchin the river rise today ! 3-19-08

12. Justyn Catfisherman

Justyn Catfisherman New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    First i love using hot dogs.

they are quick and easy. Cut up as many hot dogs as you want add enough big red, Then add garlic powder and vanilla extract. Cut the hot dogs into about 1 inch pieces. And you have a good and easy bait. leave in the fridge for a day. Shake the ziploc bag every once in a while. I just used this bait last night and caught a couple good ones.

Next bait Is my cornmeal bait.
    I got a small box of cornmeal muffin mex and did what it told me to do on the side. I added one egg and milk and then i beated it. Next i added vanilla and garlic powder and mixed again. i aso added syrup. Also used that and it is good for cats and carp. also add crushed cotton balls and or flour to stiffen up the bait.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  13. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    HAS ANYBODY EVER USED THESE BAITS AND CAUGHT BIG FISH OR JUST LITTLE EATERS?