What to use at Brunner island, any bullhead creeks around Harrisburg?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by SanteeCooperKat, Feb 1, 2007.

1. SanteeCooperKat

SanteeCooperKat New Member

State:
    PA/SC
    First off I would like to say hello to everyone, this being my first post.

Does anyone know the best bait for Channel Catfish at Brunner Island this time of year? The best Flathead Bait at Brunner? The best Striped Bass bait at Brunner? And what is the recomended tackle there. Fish off the bottom or on the bottom for stripers? Should I fish on the bottom for flatheads? Where should I fish for channels? Where for carp? Just wondering about this as I have heard many wonderful things about Brunner Island during these months and dying to try it out.

Does the Yellow Breeches Creek have some small bullheads in its deep holes (1/4 pound-1/2 pound bullheads)? What about the Conodoguinet?

Thank You,

Santee Cooper Kat

2. SanteeCooperKat

State:
    PA/SC
    Also, I don't have a boat so how far should I cast out from brunner?

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If you use a crankbait, you should be able to snag one of the billion gizzard shad in the river. Use the head for flatheads and cut it up for channels.

4. SanteeCooperKat

State:
    PA/SC
    Would packaged baby shad work for the Channels in the river? I would only think they would work with channels, not flatheads. I bought a bag of them today and was going to try them sometime when I fish at Brunner in the next month or so.

I would plan to use some of the gizzard shad from the river too.

Also, If i fished there 12pm-8pm what's the chance of me catching a flathead during these cold months? Do people typically catch a few cats (regardless of species or size) when they fish there for a solid 6-8 hours?

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The only flatheads I saw caught there were on a rattle trap and dougball for carp.

6. SanteeCooperKat

State:
    PA/SC
    Does anybody know where I should fish (in distance from the parking lot) at Brunner Island? How common are flatheads there? Has anyone here on the forums caught a flathead at brunner? Should I be able to catch a good amount of Cats in sevral hours at Brunner (Fishing four rods with two people)?

Lastly, Pictures of what people have caught at Brunner Island would be greatly appriciated too. I plan on fishing there sometimne this weekend so Im just getting the last bits of information I can about there.

7. Catfish Killer

Catfish Killer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    If you look at my pics almost all the flatheads where caught on or within a few miles of burner island. There was also a 38 pounder caught last April there. There is a pic of it hanging up at performance Marianna bait shop in Etters Pa., a town a little north of there. I am still catching small flatheads on crawlers in the warm water discharge there. During the summer we where taking over 10 flats a night at times on suckers and bluegill. There is also a backwater around there on Gut road that is full of bullheads and teems with flats when the water is High. My buddy and I went to fish the PP&L Cat walk this October and a bunch of people there where standing around a 37 inch striper that a guy caught, they all said there was a 57 pound Flathead caught weighed and released about an hour before we got there. I do not believe it and it would have crushed the Pa. record. I think they where full of it or the scale was off but who knows. Here is a map I made for you to help you find some spots. Sorry the map pics are small but if you save them to your HD you can blow them up.

Attached Files:

8. Catfish Killer

State:
    Pa.
    If you want to fish the warm waters go past the parking lot and keep heading to the coal plant go past the coal plant until you come to the fish farm. Park at the pump house with the catfish painted on it, and fish there in the turbulence with crawlers. Do not fish the pond at the fish farm I worked at the farm and the owner will kick you out and possibly press charges. They will not give you problems for parking just stay away from the pond. I made you another map the red line shows you where to drive.

Attached Files:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Bill,

That's some good info. Exactly what degree in water temp are you getting your winter flats?

10. Catfish Killer

State:
    Pa.
    The temp this time of year can be between 70 and 85 degrees, and even higher at times of high plant output. For over a month when one of the generators was down the water was in the low 60's you never know until you get there. I usually call the fish farm and ask my buddies there but not all have that luxury. We have caught most of are winter Flats when its over 80 digress like I said there small, unless your real hungry I wouldn't make the trip. But you never know a big one could bite at anytime. If you plan on using live bait I will tell you when its this cold and the water there is real warm it will die almost as soon as it hits the water. I suggest crawlers now they will usually last for a little just don't let them freeze. The current is heavy and its snags galore at the falls.

11. SanteeCooperKat

State:
    PA/SC
    What region of the island has the largest number of flatheads during spring and summer and where was that striper caught exactly?

12. SanteeCooperKat

State:
    PA/SC
    Also does small mean 1-1/2 pound fish, how many fish should I expect to catch there in sevral hours this time of year in the warm waters? Are any other species of fish being caught there in the warm waters this time of year?

Best Regards,

SanteeCooperKat