What to look for?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by motodragon2003, Aug 22, 2006.

1. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When trying to find big flatheads or any cats for that matter......what should I be looking for when out on my boat? I know there are plenty of you seasoned folks that could give me some insight :)

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

rip-rap, fallen timber, flats and so on. I have heard to look for stucture simular to what a black bass would like.

3. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Flat head are ambush predators. They like to hide and pounce. Supposedly they move out of cover at night and feed on sand flats.

We catch ours around stumps, blowdowns and steep banks.

But, this is the first year I have actively tried to catch flathead.

Robert

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    They love submerged timber, under bridges are good, they like more moderate current then the blue cats, just look for structure.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    flats hide , you have to look for them , i check my finder constantly for fish on the bottom heres what i look for ditches , creeks , ledges , logs , stumps , mud flats , sand bars , rock piles , sunken boats or barges look on the banks and in the water as well as on the bottom use live bait when ever available cast it out on bottom if after a few minutes and no bite i crank the handle of my reel a couple turns and wait some more bout every 10 minutes i do this to maybe move the bait into or on top of a flatheads kill zone , i catch a flathead every trip out have never failed this time of year , good luck hope this helps

6. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    whatch for the timber thats always good theres never a snagg to nasty:lol: