What to get!

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by TA2D, Jan 25, 2007.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Got the approval from my wife that I can get a bird dog! I have been looking at American and French Brittanys', and English Cockers, I am really up in the air on this one, first and foremost is cost, but I also want a good dog that will mind well and be good with my boys. Any suggestions, I am not dead set on either of these breeds, but I do have interest in them.

Aaron

TA2D

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like Pointers but most of the time they hunt wide. I would suggest that you talk to someone that trains bird dogs. Tell him what you are looking for and what you expect with the kids an all. He will have a better answer than me. All dogs regardless of breed ar different. Good luck in your choises.

3. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Aaron, are you gonna have it as a housedog also? Just wondering if thats why you are thinking of one of the smaller breeds. All the hunting breeds will make you a good dog as long as you put the time and energy into it.
    Alot of factors go into it, as far as what type of hunting you plan on doing,waterfowl, upland or both, and what you want the dog to do for you, as far as point, flush, retreive?
    The reasons I am a Pointing Lab guy are:
    They are a close working dog.
    They hold a point well.
    They flush the bird on command.
    They live to retreive, and dont give up on a downed bird.
    They are hardy enuff to hunt in cold weather, yet can hunt hard in the early part of the season also.
    They have thick dense hair that I don't have to pick burrs out of!
    They are easy to train and eager to learn.
    They are an excellent family dog and very loyal.
    They are calm, and laidback enuff to be in the house, boat or car with you.

Weigh your options and find the breed that fits you the best, then find a good breeder, that you are comfortable with and ask for references!
    Follow up on the references and make sure you ask ALOT of questions! If you find a breeder you are comfortable with, put down a deposit and get the pick of the litter, if you can.
    Remember that the initial cost of the pup is a minor detail when you figure the Vet appointments,shots, wormer, heart worm, rabies shots, and the other money you will be spending on the dog for the next 12-15 yrs.

I don't know if this helps any, just a few things to keep in mind as you decide and look for a breeder!

Oh, By the way............................................I'd go with a Pointing Lab!!!:lol:

4. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a german shorthaired pointer and he has more energy than any dog i've ever seen. Hes smart and he listens well and hes very calm and loving around my 1 year old neice. I wouldnt suggest this breed if you have a very busy schedule because if they stayed couped up to long they will tire you out just looking at them with their energy. Hes got passion for hunting though. Even when i take him outside to go to the bathroom he runs through bushes like a dart sniffing everything. Hope maybe this helps

5. lobo

lobo New Member

State:
    ks
    i trained brits for 30 years i think they are more natuarl bird dogs they take less trianing seem to do both point and retrive my brother uses his to even duck hunt

6. lamudslinger76

lamudslinger76 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Can't say more than whats already been said. All good advice. All I can tell ya about is the Labs. I use mine for duck and dove hunting. They are my best friends. It'd be hard to find a more loyal and willing to work dog. They're a real "peoples" dog. But as with any dog, he'll only be as good as you make of him. No training in the world can make up for bonding and just being his friend.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I'm partal to Elhew Bred English Pointers. Bird hunting Machines, nothing out hunts a pointer but another pointer or the occasional Setter.

I own Two one is 7 year old female who has had 100's if not 1000's of birds shot over Her. My other pointer is a Male pup, and is showing great promise.

THe Elhew line is the finest the english pointer has to offer, Bob Wehle originated this line and was very selective in the breeding proccess. Only the cream of the crop were alowed to reproduce.

The Elhew line offers A very beautiful and Classic looking Bird dog with TONS of drive, a vaccume for a nose, Grace and agility, Style on point intelegence and even temperment.

Whatever breed You end up buying just do Your homework, I'm sure you'll make a wise choice.

8. curveball

curveball New Member

State:
    Saint Clairsville, Ohio
    My Friend, I was born and raised in Phillipsburg, Kansas. GREAT bird hunting around there. Came to Ohio and got a Brittany. Worked at a pheasant farm in Wilmington, Ohio and helped train dogs. Worked with most brands and took my Brittany to Kansas one year for pheasant season. He worked great and finally sold him to a group that wanted to breed him.
    Shorthair pointer- great dog can be stubborn. Works wide in field
    setters- great dog- saw some with mean streaks. One attack the head trainer. Works wide in the field.
    My father owned a Lab- very strong dog and good hunter but to strong unless well trained. Would not work in field, just ran around.
    Brittany is good with kids, good house dog because of size. Brit will work fairly close in the field, good nose. (My dog nailed one bird at 30 yards.) dog nailed bird, hunter missed bird.
    from my experiences it is how you treat and train the dog, if the dog is from good blood. Check the parents out if you can and that will give you a hint.
    Hope this helps, wish I was there with you hunting. Good luck
    Joe

9. curveball

curveball New Member

State:
    Saint Clairsville, Ohio
    Just remembered.
    On the net there are programs where you can get a dog that has been abandoned or turned into a shelter where someone just does not have room for the dog or whatever. Brittanys are all over the country and the group has them in most states. I have watched this site for months at a time in the past and they really have some good looking dogs, even puppies you could raise. Just a thot... hope it helps.

Joe

10. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    ive had both brittnys and enlish setters. the brittnys iv had all seam to be a little bitter and liked fight. my setters their are really playfull were keep on in the house for about 1/2 a yr with a cat and a shitsuz. plus i like the looks of a setter myself

11. curveball

curveball New Member

State:
    Saint Clairsville, Ohio
    Don't want to and won't beat this to death... My Brittany had some real good blood lines. His Great-great grandfather was an American and Canadian dual champ. Crackerjack was registered with AKC and I believe His GG grandfather's name was Way Kon Jeff ( I know it was not spelled that way but it was pronounced that way.) I bought my pup crackerjack from a farmer that did not know what he had, I guess, for $20 back in the 70's. I sure did not know what I got when I bought him except for getting a dog.
    I had an English Setter in the early 70's before Crackerjack, that was beautiful, strong as all. I could put a rope on him, tie the other end around my waist, stand in the gravel parking lot and he could ski me across the lot. Sadly I never got to hunt with him.
    Pick out a dog that suits you and your family and God bless

12. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    I have owned both Brittanies and Pointing Labs and really like both. Our bird hunting in Mo went down the tubes but before it got bad I had started looking real hard at the Visla and from everything I have seen and read they have both great hunting skills and great people skills so you might check them out.

13. TCAT

TCAT New Member

State:
    mo
    im not much of a bird hunter maybe a skillet shot here and there:wink: i have a freind that has a german shorthair that is a really great bird dog i think he gave about 450 for him.