what to feed minnows

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jrw, Sep 26, 2005.

1. jrw

jrw New Member

hi guys i made me a simple bait tank and im going to go get some minnows this eve. I was just wondering what you all feed them and how often you have to feed them.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I put some in my fish tank one time and they ate the fish food that one can buy at the pet shop or wal-mart. hope this will help

3. jrw

jrw New Member

thanks!!!!!!!!:D I think i even have some of that from when i used to have an aquarium.

4. jrw

jrw New Member

also what would u bait a minnow trap with?

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Can dog food has worked for me. Punch small holes in and let the dog food ooze into the water. :D

6. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Sounds like chum to me Top :rolleyes:
    I never caught minnows on Dog food 'afore though the kitties will come a runnin'
    Yep use flake food if you plan on keepin 'em that long or ask your bait dealer what he prefers some use brine shrimp. Around here shiners don't last long enough to worry about what they eat, all we worry about is keeping enough oxygen on em till they are slung!

7. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    I use our regular fish tank food. Whatever you call it?

8. indiana_fishin

indiana_fishin New Member

State:
    Indiana Baby
    bread pieces,old pretzels-thats how me n pops used 2 do it when baiting minnow traps

9. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    i don't care what or how much you feed em,
    they ain't ever gonna be big enough to put in a fry pan!

Put them fellas on a hook!

LOL

As for baiting them,i like useing bagels usually the ones i don't eat on the way.They keep longer than bread!

10. jrw

jrw New Member

thanks guys, :D i used some dry catfood in the trap but all i could catch was 1/2-1 1/2 inch bluegills. i didnt keep em tho as i didnt know if it was legal to trap em in kansas. does it matter if you get them out of a private creek? if u live where its legal u might want to try dry catfood tho...

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You can also use crackers.

12. Tarpon

Tarpon New Member

I use ground beef, pieces of hot dog or cheese

13. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Yeah. I made a portible live tank with a 5 gAL BUCKET BUBLER FROM A FISH TANK AND the big square flash light batteries. And I fed them cheapest fish food or just some old bread crumbs out of en empty bread bag.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When I'm keeping live bream for any length of time, I'm looking for something very inexpensive to feed them. I prefer something that floats, so I can see how much of the food has been eaten, and how much is still there. Unneaten food just rots and uses up oxygen, so I try to keep it at a minimum. I've used stale cereal and dry dog food with what seemed to be good results. Larger pieces of dry dog food were simply crushed into smaller pieces that the bream could eat. I keep meaning to check on real floating fish food, but haven't gotten around to it.

15. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Hey it works. Dog food ideasis great. I use cheap dog food to supplemental feed the cats in my pond. And any other fish that will eat it. After a week like clock work throw a handful and water comes alive with fish.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i would say fish food from wal-mart or a pet shop. its formulated to give fish the nuitrents they require if ya planning on keeping them for long periods.

i use bread squeezed into a fist tight ball to bait minnow traps as well as a slice of raw bacon. that attracts the crawdaddies too. the can food sounds cool. would last a long time.

17. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Man didnt even think abou t the crawdads. Sometimes hunting them down is fun to in a shollow stream with plenty of rocks. Like when we were kids

18. upsmanrichie

upsmanrichie New Member

State:
    Rochester,Pa.
    Just regular old flake fish food or pellets. Crackers will work too.

19. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Believe it or not one of the best minnow trap baits I have used is Juicy fruit chewing gum, or canned biscuit dough. I have even caught eels and crawfish with these baits.