What to do with these giant squash?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by DLB-in-GR, Aug 31, 2009.

1. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I bet I could get a few cups of shredded yellow zucchini out of these. Any suggestions on what to do with them, besides pitch them in the weeds?

Attached Files:

2. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Can you not eat them?

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Doug.....if you want to use it shredded (I'd get rid of the seeds), there are a few different recipes for sweets made with zucchini in the BOC Diner's Cookbook and/or BOC Diner Forum if I'm not mistaken. I have one for chocolate zucchini cake if you're interested in that.

Otherwise, I'd say squash pickles. Cut the seeds out and cut the thick pieces of flesh into bite-size pieces and pickle 'em. My grandma used to use up extra large squash and cucumbers this way. We have some pickling recipes around here too I do believe.

4. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Well sure, but they are so big, I've never grown them this big before. I usually slice and fry small ones, but these got away. I was wondering if anybody had a suggestion on how they might be prepared?

5. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We always slice them thin, mix them with onions, then put them in a pan and let them cook for about a hour. you just want them soft. Add salt and pepper and enjoy!

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Shred them ,and get a recipe for zuccini bread.

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    hollow 'em out and make bird houses:wink: