What to do with leftover steak

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by jlingle, Mar 13, 2007.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Steak & cheese bagels, of course. Cut your steak into 1/4" strips, about 3 or 4 inches long, and cut about 12 strips. Warm up the steak strips, put 'em on a bagel and top with slices of cheese. Believe me, it's fantastic and easy enough that even I can do it and enjoy it.:cool2:

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jerrod,
    Sounds good except for one small problem:
    I never have any left over steak....Grill, plate, gone...W

3. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    On the rare occasion that I cant finish a steak, I will save it for stew. Taters, carrots, celery, green beans and really thick gravy-like substance.:tounge_out:

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Left over steak.....whats that??

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Southerners been putting steak on southern biscuits for a long time.
    We still look at those yankee biscuits and cant figure out who would make a biscuit like that and who can eat em.:lol:

6. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jerrod, I get the family pack size of the cheaper steaks sometimes, just in order to have the leftovers! Usually use them for a steak enchilada type creation, with lots of onion and melted cheese, but gonna try your idea!

I think your steak bagels would also be good with melted philly cheese and sauteed green pepper and onion slices. How's that sound? A philly-cheesesteak bagel :cool2: Thanks for the menu tip!

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Amen, Mark! I had a bagel ONCE. I truly thought it was 100 year old some odd type of bread. Ramblin' here. Needless to say on the next visit to NY, I was asked what I preferred.............well anything but a bagel, but I don't do breakfast. On the next visit, there were cinnamon rolls, bear claws, pound cake, strawberries. cheese, everything but a bagel on the tray. :big_smile: The bagels were on a separate tray.

Now we have so many transplants that there are 2 or maybe even 3 bagel shops, in this tiny town. I need to see about opening the Krispy Kreme or some such southern place. They closed our KK about a year or so ago. No sweet homemade treats in town. Hmmmmmmmm. LOL

Take care.
    Cheryl

P.S. These thoughts are purely from a G.R.I.T.S. woman............:tounge_out: :crazy: :lol:

8. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey, now, sis... ya just need to expand your taste-bud horizons... o wait a minute, then that'd mean I'd have to learn to like grits... umm... never mind :tounge_out: :lol:

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Now its starting to sound like a McDonald's menu:lol:

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I said I was Southern, not insane. I don't eat grits. That's a little further south than I am, Carolyn. Heck, they even eat grits with good shrimp in SC. Whoever heard such a thang? LMHO. Mom will eat about anything, but she don't care for them either.

I forgot the question. Sorry for rambling off subject.

I usually cut my steak in 1/2 and take the remainder to Mom. In the Diabetes class we took a few years back for her, it advises to only eat a 'playing card' size portion of meat. So that is what we try to do.

If I have more than that, I'll use it for chili, beef stew, biscuits or a sandwich, cat food, dog food, etc. There are a lot of things it can be utilized for and y'all have listed some great ideas! Heck I may even try to see if my teeth and stomach can handle a bagel sometime.....you never know. Taste buds, among other things change every 7 years, and I'm about to turn 49, so that's a 7 year plan, any way you view it. Sure hope it only is positive, high energy, but in reality we all make each day what it is for us. Best or worst, it's in everyone and it all comes to surface from time to time.

Ramblin' again, :roll_eyes: :wink:

Take care.
    Cheryl

P.S. Carolyn this is what is on one of my hats:

G.R.I.T.S.
    and in tiny letter beneath it says:

Girls Raised In The South

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Hard to beat a good bowl of grits with red eye gravy and black pepper.:eek:oooh:

12. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ya left over steak or anything beef is good to cut up into small peices and add to ur pot of chili:tounge_out: :big_smile: it adds something other than plain ol hamburger

13. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Why in th world would you wanna eat a bread that chews like leather. If there is th odd chance that I happen to have left over steak, its not enough to put in anything, but if I do, it goes in a stew or chili. Hope, not every one in th south likes grits, I used to, but over th yrs have lost th taste for them.

14. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just so happens that I have left over steak, but not by accident I always get one to big! here is what I do.

I grill the steak with a little hickory, I sear it on both sides then cut off a hunk for in the morning and put in Refer, next morning I slice it very thin while it is cold, I then sauté some green onions and mushrooms in a skillet with a little butter at last of sautéing I throw the steak in stir it around a couple times then put on a plate and then put into a Omelet with Monterey Jack Cheese.

Gee now I wonder if I can make it till morning. :embarassed:

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If we have any leftover meats i slice them thin ,add to some fried taters add some ro-tel and garlic powder and have a sipcy side with my fried eggs for breakfast

16. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Builds strong teeth! See?? >>>>>>>>>> :big_smile:

Whew, that's a relief! lol :wink: Thanks, Keith

17. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nawww! :eek:oooh: Not mine! I was born with mature taste buds. Loved liver 'n onions right from the git go :lol: :tounge_out:

Ahhh... now I see :wink: Thanks for straightenin me out, Cheryl!

Love and hugs,
    Carolyn

18. MrsTop

MrsTop New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    cook about 4 slices of bacon, cut the bacon in small pieces and cube the steak, cook rice and add to the meat mixture with some soy sauce and you have a pretty tasty fried rice. just be careful with the salt cause the soy sauce has quite a bit in it already.

19. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Y'all are hilarious, Bagels are meant to be eaten with cream cheese they are not considered biscuits.:lol: and ya dont use them to make samitiches.
    its okay id never heard of them either till i moved up here. When i met my wife she had never heard of chicken fried steak with biscuits and milk gravey, she is a native New Yorker. She did however learn to cook southern style, for which i will be forever grateful.:big_smile: