What to do with extra deer meat.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flatheadchris, Nov 18, 2007.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    Ok,i love to deer hunt but i dont care for the taste to much.is there any programs or somewhere where i can donate the deer meat for the poor etc? just a question i wanted to ask :big_smile:

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Check with your local game warden office. They have a program here for that. The only downfall is you have to pay for the processing.

3. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    oh i dont mind that.i just love hunting but i dont care for the taste.il do anything as long as i can hunt and not waste the food when others need it.

4. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    You could also check with local food banks to see if they'd take some, though again you might have to have it processed first. Through a google search, I also found this: Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry. You can check their list for participating butchers in your area.

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I love deer meat. I'd be happy to take it off your hands! :wink:

6. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Check around, in Va we have hunters for the hungry. they take and process it and donate through the rescue mission. The program has been a sucsess, with funding coming from donations and hunters.
    Chip

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    jerky or my favorite bag balogna or hunters helping the hungry program.

8. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I encourage you to learn how to handle the deer after the kill so it won't have a bad taste.Thier are alot of educational posts on the boc involving butchering and processing.If you like pork or beef then you would like properly handled venison.

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    A neighbor of mine in Big Island, Va. started "Hunters For The Hungry" several years ago and it is a big organization now. That's where I take mine after my freezer is full. If you don't like the taste of venison, I would suggest, you just ain't had it aged right or cooked right. It sure makes a great Chilli or pasta sauce.

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I just had one given to me by a man that said the same thing...Just likes to shoot him....Id take all you could give me,I can live off deer over beef anyday,we had a stew this weekend and it was delicious tommorow STEAKS...If you process it and cook it right mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............man I wish you was closer...

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would think if the meat is EXTRA, you shouldn't have shot the deer in the first place. Why don't you hunt with a camera. You'll get all the enjoyment of hunting, and the deer will probably appreciate it also. LOL

12. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    We have the same program here in Ga.

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Missouri has a Share the Harvest program and this is it's 16th year.
    Last year hunters donated 161 tons of venison for food banks. Check with your state conservation dept. for details.