What to do when the catfish aren't biting

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by field989, May 6, 2007.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well here for the past few days...

weve been fishin.. and the flatties would bite spectacular for about 3 fish then they just stop... i mean no hits or bites or ANYTHING FOR the remainder of the time fishing...

wat the heck is goin on

what should we do... are they just not on full bite?

Thanks

Jeff

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Jeff, I know what you mean. This past week, I fished everynight Tuesday through friday form 7PM to 9:30PM. All of my fish have come at the time 8PM to 8:30PM. It's weird?

3. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    Turn on the ball game and have a beer!!!!!!!!!!

4. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I really wish I could give you an idea of why thats happening, but i'm having the same problem. Everynite just a few tiny hits (or other fish running into the line) and then its over. Its a sad week for this catfisherman

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Turn your fishing trip into a picnic.:lol: :smile2:

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You are looking at this all wrong. You stated you have figured out what time the fish bite...What more could anyone want... I wish I knew what time they bite.

Danny

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yes it is a very sad week indeed...

went out agian today...

NOTHING WHAT SO EVER!!!

got a few runs on danny kings but other than that NOTHING... only thing that was biting good was the gills...

maybe this weekend....

o well i figure they are spawning and arent hungry lol

also its not a specific time... its just usually the first 45 minutes of fishing we get a few fish then it stops...

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Very typical flathead characteristics. Just wait them out, they turn on about every 2 to 3 hours late spring and early summer months. If you have ever done a all-nighter, you will find that the bite is on and off throughout the night. Best flathead fishing is about 7pm to 8pm and 4am to 6am in the mornings from my experience. During the down time I will sharpen hooks and snell hooks and make leaders. Also might even take a small ultra light pole and try to catch some bait in the area.

9. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    hmm yea i have noticed that... ive only pulled a all nighter catfishing once... and the bite was off and on..

but here this summer when im out of school ill do some night fishing at this spot.... i have good luck here at dark...

10. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They generally dont start spawning till the water reaches around 70 to 75 degrees I thought. It might be different in the nothern region, but i'm not sure exactly where you are located. Anyways. I'm having a heck of a time also, but when you get the big one let us know!

11. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    Oh dont worry ill let u guys know lol

but we had a warm spell of weather in winter... i mean t-shirt warm spell but its really really really hot now and shew this global warmin is makin me hottttt lol

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    That's one thing I never did was pull an all nighter.

When the bites off, i like to eat!

13. holdemplyer

holdemplyer New Member

State:
    nebraska
    i'll pull an all nighter if the fish are biting good, or if i'm with a good buddie, and i've pulled a 30+hr session of poker, winning of course, i'll pull an an all night doing one of those two things with no problem!!!!

well, a third area could be thrown in for all nighters, but....... i'll leave that alone!:embarrassed_2: :wink: :look_down:

14. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When that happens to me I just eat a lot of food and snacks and sandwiches and chips and juice and more sandwiches

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would just keep trying.

16. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    i am with walter on this one...if the flatties arent bitin, why waste time and munch out on stuff when you could be makin use of the quiet time and catchin baitfish for later or preparing for future fishin trips. sounds like a better use of downtime to me. multi-task, it all works out for the greater good.

17. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i either crack a beer, or if have partner that night, trade lies, if not, may take nap until next bite. can't just sit there and stare at the poles though.
    catch bait, do something though. or in your case where you seem to have good knowledge of when the bite is, plan the fishing for that time, then have something else planned.
    most of my bites in lower colorado river come from 8-10 in evening. nothing happens by 11:00, i go home. gonna start trying the early hrs soon though.
    gary

18. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    10/4 Big Eli !! J.D.:big_smile_2: :byebye:

19. jlangford

jlangford New Member

State:
    texas
    Jeff, take it from someone who has lot of experience watching poles and lines do nothing, i take my police scanner, dvd player, and if i am near civilization i'll take a portable tv and watch something. If i'm in my boat then i'll take everything above but if it gets late then i just set the clickers on and then get into the cabin and get some sleep. Yep, that's right, i'm both lazy and i get bored easily

20. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i always take one of those lawn chairs that lean back or fold out into a bed.if i get bored i pour me a cup of coffee or i set the clickers and take a nap.if i get a bite the clicker wakes me up if i dont get a bite i get up at daylight and go home.bad fishing beats tv anytime.