What to do? What to do?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Old Bill, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I find myself limited in that I can't be gone overnight from home at this time, but can be gone sometime for several hours during daylight hours.

My question to you is this: (1) Would be be best to place jugs on the lake in the late morning and check them throughout the day...then retrieve in late afternoon, or (2) would I catch more fish by placing the jugs out in late afternoon and then hoping that I will be able to check them the following morning?

I really hate the thought that my jugs might not be checked within a short period of time! I've seen too many forgotten moss covered jugs!:sad2:

What do you think??

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Personally Bill, i wouldn't set em out if i couldn't tend to them. If it was me i would fish during the day and hope for the best.

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Bill I would be afraid to put them out if I didn't know when I was coming
    back. With a good wind jugs can move unbeliveable distances. If you check
    them every few hours you have an idea which way they are drifting if you
    leave them all night they may be anywhere. That is with free-floating jugs
    like I use. If you fish stationary jugs (anchored) you will probably be OK.
    If I was going to fish stationary jugs I would put them out as late as I could
    and the check them the next morning.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Fish when you can. :wink:

Night time is not always the right time for catfish, especially in cooler weather or falling temperatures.

The middle of the day can be the best time many days, as it is right now in the Carolinas. The jugs are a lot easier to find in the middle of the day, so that may be the best bet if you are not able to tend to them while they are afloat.

Good luck, and enjoy the time on the water! :smile2:

5. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I say go when you can, during the day if that's when it is. I do well in daylight with jugs. I think a breeze helps you and the jugs if its hot, plus if they are there it will not take too long for a mess, depending on how many jugs you put out.
    Good luck!

6. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    John, Poppa, Dieter, thank you for your comments!

I use anchored jugs all of the time so unless they are stolen, I can usually find them...although sometimes it's difficult. And, one or two times I have found jugs a mile or two from where the wind should have blown them.

I guess that I'll just try the day time fishing and hope for the best. It's hard for me to get away early in the morning, and should the weather get bad I'd hate for the jugs to go unchecked!

Thanks again for you comments,

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Since your time is limited, and you might not be able to tend them, I'd fish with R&R during this time you are going through. That way, you can take everything back home with you each time and not stress or worry over it. Then, back to juggin' when you get back on schedule.
    Bill in SC

8. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I made up 20 jugs this past winter (the max that can be used in Oklahoma) and as yet they haven't been in the water!:sad2:

Oklahoma weather has cooled down somewhat so a day in my open boat might not be too uncomfortable.

Thanks

9. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Bill, I had thought about doing that at a closer Oklahoma City lake (that doesn't allow jugs) but, my rods and reels haven't been used for years!

However, it might be wise to locate them and see if I can get the reels up and running!

Thanks,

10. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    bill, i see a lot of lost jugs here on kerr. if there is current they will get away from you , one time last fall i was ancored out between two islands, no other boats in site, i saw two white spots about a half a mile off or so a little late the spots got closer i moved the boat but stayed in the area, a little later the current moved these two jugs by me and on down they went i know for a fact they had fish on them because once and a while they would stop a go in circles, i guess the catfish would tire out and the current would take over.

11. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Use anchored jugs if possible. Thats what I use so I can 't lose them. i use window weights for anchors.

12. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    How big of jugs/line do you use any slack between jug and anchor ? Unfamilliar with this set up .

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't know about Oklahoma, but Arkansas requires that trotlines, limblines, and anchored juglines be checked at least once a day. Even if your state doesn't require that, IMO, it's a very good personal rule to go by. Now, I know that if I have trotlines out, and I am checking them every day, occasionally some emergency is going to come up to make me miss a day, or even two or three. That's just the way life goes, and personally, I don't worry about that. If I run across a game warden who doesn't understand that I missed running my lines a day or two because I was in the hospital, hopefully the judge will be more understanding. If not, I'll just have to pay the fine. Knowing I'm going to be away is another matter. I've been planning on putting out some lines locally, but I've been waiting because I'm going to be at a gathering this coming weekend, and wouldn't be able to check them. I'll put them out after I get back.

14. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    While I wouldn't recommend it as a sure fire way to catch catfish, I've caught channels on trotlines that weren't baited. Not snagged... hooked in the mouth. Do my best to check them often. We usually only put them out on camping trips where we're right there with them.

15. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Lance, I've used all kinds of bottles for jugs. Mostly 3-liter pop bottles spray painted orange, Clorix bottles, etc. Anything that will float will work.

This year I made up some "Flag-tip-up" Noddle jugs to try out. Sadly they haven't gotten wet yet!
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38722

If you will go to page 4 of the Member Library you will find lots of details about jugs and the size lines & hooks people use.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576

Some guys just use a 12-oz pop plastic bottle with a line tied to the neck, with a single hook on the end of 4-5 foot line. Maybe a large nail tied somewhere for weight.

Good luck,