What to do..... THEN vs NOW

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by H2O Mellon, Dec 25, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay, let me lay the foundation here:

I've beeen catfishing for 3 years now. I am hooked to say the least.

THEN
    3 years ago, my fishing tackle consisted of several St Croix Rods w/ baitcasters for Bass, Pike, Eyes, etc... I had at least 10 light actions rods. I rods that were specifically for small creek smallmouth, creek panfish, lake Pike, Stripers on the Ohio River, Pond Bassing, etc...

NOW
    I've sold everything else & now only have cat tackle. (well, one ul left). Now if it's not 7'6 & doesnt have an Aby Garcia on the end of it..... I dont want or need it.

THEN
    I'd have spool after spool of 4,6,8,10 # test laying around.

NOW
    Huh? You mean they make line less than 20#?

THEN
    I'd laugh at those big hooks I saw in the store.

NOW
    Not a hook in my house that doesnt have an "/0" behind the number! (ie: 8/0, 10/0)

THEN
    I'd have a small container for sinkers I'd need on the creek. 1/16, 1/32 split shots.

NOW
    I still have a container for sinkers..... they are called totes, & weight 50#'s each!

THEN
    I'd spend all day catching bluegills, rockbass & smallmouth.

NOW
    I still target those & still catch them....... TO USE FOR BAIT!

THEN
    I'd use to laugh at those "redneck" guys spending all night on the river waiting for just one of those big nasty looking whiskered monters to hit

NOW
    I are one of those guys! (And LOVE it!)

2. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i can relate to what your saying,but i have always targeted catfish as well as the other species but do do more catfishing than anything....lol...

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Then: enamored Buy Big sparkly rangers and tritons

Now: Can't get the big drab olive lowe 2070 on the water enough!!!

Then: thought only sissys used a landing net

Now: I don't go fishing with out a net, never get a big boy into the boat with out it!!!

Then: entralled by the bass fishing tourneys.

Now: wonder why all the hoopla over guys catching these lil bass that a decent sized flathead could eat

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    THEN:
    Looking for a good fishing partner

NOW:
    STILL looking ! (rib @ Flathunter)

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was born a catfisherman..unlike H20 Mellon who jumped on the bandwagon :D

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I was just born a fisherman, and always wondered about the one that got away. Now with the heavier equipment I hope I can catch the ones that did NOT get away. When I was living in California, knew a man that went by Bald Eagle, very large framed man but lean. He would always pull out this 8' rod with this humongous anchor on the line and heave it out for Cats when we would be fishing for Crappie. Thought he was a little touched back then but now understand why the heavier equipment.lol Now I am him, just in a small version, I'm only 5'7", he was 6' 5".

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I like fishing for everything. Just catfishing is what I mostly do. But those are true to just about everyone.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    then...wading creeks catching chubs, pond fishing for blugills, smallies, suckers...must have been prepping myself for bait hunting. now....channels in the spring, flats later, fall smallies and wish we still had some big gills around here to filet.

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    then flyfishing trolling bass fishing catfishing
    now same thing

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Mellon, we diffently have the same thing in common.....I can relate :D

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Before.......Prior to 15 years ago I bass fished and wouldn't bait up my bass rods for catfish(thought it was sacreligious)
    Now.........For the last 15 years those rods are dusty and unused, Have since gotten bigger and better equipment for catfishing.

Before.......15 years ago I thought that spinning gear was the way to go for catfishing.
    Now..........I have learned better, LOL!!!

12. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    you know my story bryan when this year started i had 6 different bass rods and one predator rod with 12 pound test line for channel cats. Now i have 1 bass rod. One 11ft mudville cat rod with penpier reel with 50 pound test line. Pennpier baitrunner on 7ft catmaxx rod with 30 lb test line, Pennpier baitcaster 209 on 11 foot rod, 7ft mudville cat with 20 pound test line and a 11 foot predator with 25 pound test. Im pretty sure you guys converted me.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Bryan according to Jack after three years of sitting on the bank you ARE STILL waiting to catch one of them big ole cats.Whats up with that :) ?You might as well trade all that stuff in for a flyrod :happy: and catch bait for Jack :rolleyes:

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jim, he cant catch bait either..But he did catch some skipjack last week, I will give him credit for that :D

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Now, Now, Jack and Bryan....you kids play nice......LOL :0a1:

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Then 1979, 80, 81 82, I fished a north central Wyoming reservoir for channels using a mitchell 300 and 14# line. I was 8 years old in 79.
    Now, I use various types of spinning and casting reels, none with less than 30# line.
    Then, I would throw half of a foot long sucker out with a 2 ounce weight and a 2/0 hook.
    Now, I just put the whole foot long sucker on live and hold him with a five ounce sinker on a 5/0-7/0 hook or maybe two.
    Then, I would sit on a sandy bank and fish with my dad from Friday night until Sunday afternoon to catch one ten pound channel.
    Now, Dad drift fishes with me in my boat for a couple hours in the evening to land ten to twenty 10# plus blues, channels, flatheads on the mighty Ohio.
    Fishing only gets better. Vern

17. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Then: I played in the water sprinkler
    Now : I play in the water sprinkler with my Grand daughter !

Attached Files:

18. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Just had to do it (above post)...

Then: Zebco 202 (I think) and a small hook and a Blue Gill a bitin'.
    Now. Ambassadeur 6500C3 and a big hook a Blue Gill gettin' bit.

19. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    THEN....the bluegill slayer. summer 1978 or '79, eastwood park, dayton ohio.

Attached Files:

20. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Then: Hoping to catch something 10lbs or bigger.

Now: Same thing :crying:

Ray