Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

what to do! problem gators!

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  m slayton 
#1 ·
so wile here in gainesville florida i have found this lake close to my moms house..
the lake is shallow and filled with lilly pads 15 yards out in to the water .....shallow as crap and a mud bottom. fishing regulations says no bag limit on channel cats so i would think there would be a couple of biggins there , i use cut blue gill and watch the gar eat LOL.... then as the sun sets the gators come out to spoil the fishing... they will sit inches from my line waiting for a fish to eyeball my bait........ or even guarding my bait ************ so no bites unless a gar happens to get crazy and hit my bait .
soooo i was thinking about investing in a wrist rocket and some rocks........ but will i still go to jail ....... 2 gators came up to me yesterday evening wile i was fishing and actually came in close enough for me to my gun out and aim .....then i realized i can't leagaly shoot this thing that is endangering my life ... so is a wrist rocket a better idea or is just packing up and leaving the best idea ....... i hate to give up but fishing is pointless if your being harrassed by gators.

just to inform yall about what the game warden said to do in a omg situation..... as in no way to avoid said gator atack ......the warden said to offer the gator YOUR BAD ARM !!!!!!! yea boss i'll get rite on that one....so i desided that i'd rather offer the gator a good bullet in stead since i don't have a bad arm, but i do not TRY to make it happen.
i just back up from the waters egde the closer they get and wait and watch.

the gators are going crazy as the water heats up and the fish go to moving .
so be safe out there people and always pay attention to your surroundings .

See less See more
#2 ·
i sure as hell whouldnt be givin up an arm! lol hope ya get the issue resolved. im from missouri and never had such a prob. i do believe a sling shot may do the trick. long as ya dont tick it off i suppose. lol

#3 ·
Offer the bad arm? Well, I'd ask the game warden to show me how to do that safely. Its nuts to value animals over people. I"m not into just killing everything, but we have inalienable rights, like life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. If something is gonna try to eat me, especially if I"m taken by surprise or cornered with no escape, I reckon PETA will not help, I'll have to handle it on my own, and since I haven't seen any wild animals that I can communicate with, I reckon negotiations are out. I dont' know FL law, but I'd say throwing rocks or a slingshot is preferable to being eaten.

#4 ·
i will ask the game warden about showing me how to safely do that LOL .
hit rodman dam again with the wife gators and more gators again and 1 finger cat.
any one have a bad arm i can barrow ? i also found that a gentle thump on the gators head with a 2-4 ounce sinker will make them get out of casting range if you don't hook em :( but they never leave .

#5 ·
Florida has FWC State alligator trappers. If it is acting aggressive, its probably been fed by humans at some point before. Give the local law enforcement a call, I am betting they have the local trappers on speed dial to handle these types of issues.

[youtubevid]7peZmuDg9FA[/youtubevid]

I hate them suckas, and give them a wide path in GA..

#10 ·
i got the perfect solution fer the gaters i can get that feller that who make those crumby remarks about our wonderful!! boc and get him to relax with water wings on next to my chum pipe and perhaps the gaters will go away too :) i just hope his bad atatude don't run me cat fishes off:cowboy:

#12 ·
Im guessing that poor ole gator would just spit his dirty a$$ right back out Matt :poop:.. I'm kinda thinking maybe momma could get a nice gator purse or you a pair of gator boots..haha.. Have that worden stick his bad arm down there and show you how it's done !! You don't quite understand....Right.....:devil:

Ed

#13 ·
look for the post with ramblings stating with a bunch of negative remarks towards the boc... you'll pitty the guy and LAUGH your anus off some one crapped in his oatmeal .
your correct ed the gator would prolly spit him back out ... if you need a laugh and a good chance to stand up for the boc check it out .

i learned that if the gators are parked on your fishing hole just pull the lines out and wait for him to leave if theres no food or splashing going on they tend to leave <----- some times ..... or i leave altho gator tail does sound yummy but i am not a poacher so no dice.

#14 ·
Be careful when trying to persuade the gator to leave, it can be a $500 fine or 60 days in jail for harassment of an alligator in FL. Feeding them and throwing rocks can be considered harassment. Most gators don't leave they will simply swim off a little ways, drop to the bottom, crawl back near your bait on the bottom and wait for a fish to come in. Put in for a phase II alligator permit on July 30 for the area and if you get awarded the cite tag then you can take him to the house for frying. Good luck and don't go toe to toe, it'll leave a mark.

#16 ·
Phase II will begin on July 30th, just go into the tax collectors office and apply. The first phase I is over and done by lottery for your selected areas, in phase II the permits are sold on a first come first serve basis for areas that permits were not drawn or purchased during phase one. Good Luck getting one

#18 ·
you're welcome and anytime, If you want to apply for phase one next year the website for FL wildlife conservation will usually post instructions around May. When you apply in phase one you get to pick five areas that you would like to hunt and then a lottery is conducted. If your luck is like mine I was unsuccessful on my lottery so I will have to try and pick up a leftover tag.

#19 ·
very helpful stuff there clint ty again and with any luck my crumby luck will prvail and in turn let you get the loto pick next time LOL also is a bang stick mandatory or can i use any gun i man own ? actually let me try n be smart and read that @ myfwc hah.

also did you ever work at the briar corp in sanford?

#20 ·
you will need to use a harpoon to attach a float or two and yes you have to use a bangstick or a bow. Use of weapons are not permitted during regular season. I was never an employee for the Briar corp. in Sanford, I spent all my time in the Army until I got injured in 2001. It is funny how the lottery system works I actually purchased a permit for the lake I requested during phase I today through leftover permits.

#21 ·
ty and i hope you get a big gator man . if you ever get a tag for lake county or lake eustis theres a big a$$ 13-14 footer in the canal in lisben rite next to the locks @gator bay mirena past dura stress factory its all connected to lake eustis and the harris? chain o lakes don't quot me on the harris chain as there are so many chai of lakes here in florida .

that same canal is slap full of nile pearch just after easter tho they were late this year you can stick the hell outa them with the bow fishing rig pull off to the rite just past pb just befor the bridge .

o yea i know the gator is that big cause he swam past my john boat and his head was past the front of the boat and the tail was past the back of the boat . my boat was a 11foot 11inch v to flat bottom john boat needless to say i beached the boat and only shoot pearch there now from the bank lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.