What to do in a lightning storm

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by adamant, Jun 29, 2007.

1. adamant

adamant New Member

State:
    new jersey
    lets start a thred on boat safety in a storm.
    LETS SAY
    you are out there and a storm kicks up ..lightining is cracking around you...:crazy:
    you are 2 miles around the ramp ...

besides getting right with your maker,what should you do?

2. pamlee101

pamlee101 New Member

State:
    carrollton
    saw a thread about this on another site. the overwelling response was PRAY.

other than that, i think the main thins was to make sure you are not touching anything that would ground you.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    personally iv never seen lightening hit water , i have on the other hand had it hit the ground within a few feet of where i was standing and from what i can tell theres no true way to avoid it , im sure prayer helps but the chance of being struck by lightening are slim at best . im not sure if your better off on the water or land but i am sure if its your time to go it will surely take you out , grounded or not

4. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am not sure either but I will be watching this thread...One thing for sure, I am not going to be holding a pole in my hand...I always try to move to the shores edge and try to get to some kind of some shelter...

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    So do you want to take your chances in an aluminum boat on the water, or standing under a 75 ft tree on the shore? Either way, when you get hit, the game is pretty much over...

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Be me, I'd run for the bank.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    lol mr.t il try to hang out in the water as long as i can if the wind is permitting and yes my boat is alluminum and i will have my rod near enough to set the hook if need be , if i die on the water fishin struck by lightening then you all will know what not to do in a lightening storm

8. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I guess I am just not as willing to stay cause usually when you got lightning you got rain storms and if I get wet I spread all over as you all know sugar melts and sh-- spreads...so I have a strong need for staying dry....all seriousness aside I head for the shore line and get cover...Just me...

9. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I got hit by lightning on land in 1985 and lived to tell about it but I've never been in a boat that was hit by lightning.I lived on a sailboat in south Fla for a year and one eveing durning a thunderstorm I saw St. Elmo's Fire,the mast and all the rigging on that sailboat was glowing bluegreen and was the wildest thing ever.

If anyone wants to know about boats and lightning you to go to yahoo and type in boats/lightning and you will find answers.

10. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Put your head between your legs and kiss your but goodbye! Seriously I would go hard for shore and get in my truck.

11. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That's what I've always heard, literally. Head to the bank, get out of the boat and assume this position on shore away from anything tall. Unfortunately, I had to do it once and lightning actually struct a tree up on top of the bank not very far from us at all. We instantly started to smell the tree on fire. Pretty scary, but we were OK. I tend to stay off the water if there's ANY chance of rain anymore.

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If ya are fishin dureing the daylight hours. Try usein your given senses such as sight and hearin. Look at the sky and listen to the weather station on the radio. Don't hesitate to break camp. The quest for mr. whiskers will be there another time.

13. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Myself I believe that when your number comes up it don't matter if your in a boat or in your truck. I would come in if I was didn't want to be there but if you are afraid of dieing you better make peace with your maker.

14. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    If its cracking down all around me im headed to the truck or nearest marina.:big_smile:

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Believe me, I don't like lightening when I am out on the water. But if I am caught by surprize(which seldom happens) by a sudden storm, I will head for the bank or into a creek as long as there are no trees around me. If that isn't possible, keep a low profile on the surface if possible.
    PS. If the man upstairs decides to puch your time card it is over, even if you are sitting in your recliner watching the storm through a picture window!!!

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Right before lightening strikes something close to you you will smell sulpher real strong. Kinda smells like a battery over charging and spilling out.

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I will also add that the hair on you body will start standing due to the static electricity that builds right before the srike.

18. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well if ya ask me i would check the weather report before even goin to the lake...but if i was caught in an unexspected storm i would curl up into a fetal position, suck on my thumb and cry for mommy:too_sad:

19. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    A tip I learned a long time ago is that you can use a simple AM radio as a lightning warning device. Tune to a frequency with weak or nonexistent reception. Your radio will not be as sensitive to lightning if it is tuned to a station that is receiving clearly. The volume and sound of the lightning strikes will be different depending on how far away the lightning is. Faraway lightning will sound somewhat muffled and smoother, wheras closer lightning (within 40 miles or so) will be louder and contain distinct popping sounds.

20. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Well I can think of only one activity that I would rather be doing at the time I leave this earth that would be more pleasurable than fishing. Still I would , should I say hasten, to shore. Luck