What to do in a jam It works

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by madcater, Aug 25, 2007.

1. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    me and my cuz were going up to the river had the boat and when we got there i had lost my drain plug and was 45 min away from any where that might have one and we went up there to take the boat out on the river so it this ever happens to any of yall ill tell you what to do............ get a pice of willo shave the bark off make a point on one end and shove from the out side in ues a rock to get it up in there far so it will not leak and problum solved for now and u can get to fishing just rember this one it will work in a pinch

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have forgotten to not put the plug in a time or two... really leads to some excitement when the feet gets wet. I have found it is a lot easier to fasten the drain plug to the transom with a small section of light chain...like decorative chain. Takes a few years to rust out, but that's a few years you won't forget to take the drain plug with you. I keep a small tackle box in the boat with a extra drain plug, fuses, light bulbs, stainless steel screws and bolts, and some small tools. It's nice to have the little emergency pack with me. Put an ammo can from the Army Surplus in the boat also... has a complete 1/4" and 3/8" drive sets, pliers, water pliers, dikes, screwdrivers, and 2 each of wrenches in size 3/8" to 5/8". I have found that handles most of the little emergencies... now for the big ones....LOL. Been very fortunate to not have had one yet. ROTFLMAo

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i've got many many plugs in the boat, so if i forget the main one, i have some extra with me, and if anyone else forgot one, i can spare one. normally, i leave the plug in my boat, i've got 2 plug holes in the top of the transom where the outboard mounts to, so i take the plug out of the boat and put in in one of those holes. the only reason i remove my plug is cause i have the bait well draining into the bildge and will soon have a second bait well and a live well, and those will also drain into the bildge, and if it rains, i'm not killin a battery cause the bilge pump is on a float switch that always has power goin to it. but if i'm only goin to be out of the water for a little while, i'll just leave the plug in as to not forget it while getting back in the water. its not fun to back the boat all the way down, and start unwindin the winch only for the bildge pump to kick on and "oh yeah, the plug", right back out of the water you come... lol

4. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I keep several in different places. I left my boat beached overnight at a ramp and campground and someone borrowed mine during the night. There was some confusion before I figured out what had happened.

5. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    i had one tied to the boat but it was gone i have no ideal where thanks for all the tips i now have more than one plug in the boat

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i won't say how many time i have "forgotten the plug. just will say that my feet are almost webbed. i now have no less than 4 spare plugs in boat and two are right in back by transome. even my grandson who is 4 now asks me if i put the plug in. :embarassed:
    gary

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can never have to many drain plugs on board. I carry several in each of my boats.I have loaned them at times to people in:smile2: a pinch. When bass fisherman spend 15-20 dollars for one fishing plug I don't think its stupid to have five or six drain plugs at 2.59 each.

8. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I feel ya on that. u can never have too many drain plugs in your boat or tackle box. It seems everytime I go into wal-mart to get supplies for a trip, I buy a drain plug, my wife was all like "why r u buying ANOTHER drain plug, dont u have some at home?" I told her th same thing, u can never have too many, u never know what may happen, forget it, lose it got stolen, loan it an for get u did, so I have several, dont know how many. but keep 2 in each tackle bag and in tool box. keep extra under passenger seat of bass boat, have 1 chained to transom of bass boat, even keep 2 in each storage box and live well, and got a few in th van. Last time we went out we forgot to take th plug outta th jon boat and it sat out in th sun for a couple months and dried out and now is no good. I am gonna take advice from AWSHUCKS tho an add extra tools an stuff to my boat. flashlights , batteries, stuff like that.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Oh thank you guys so very much. :angry:

Now I have realized that I am vastly under-prepared. :eek:oooh:

Now I have to go spend more money to buy tools, drain plugs, band-aids, batteries, sunburn cream, flares, satellite phones, ON-Star tracking devices etc........:crazy:

Gotta be prepared. Thanks for the thread. Makes you think.

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    AWShucks is right about the tools. I've changed starters, pulled, cleaned, and reinstalled carbs, etc. Pulled and dried of plugs after loading up with fuel. Nothing major, but stuff that would have been the end of the trip without the tools. One thing AwShucks should have capitalized and put in bold font so it wasn't overlooked in the rest of his list was the FUSES:smile2: All the boats I've had or helped with have a main ignition fuse. No fuse, no starter. Light bulbs for the running lights (and trailer!) All in all about 20 bucks worth of stuff that doesn't take up much space but man is it worth a lot more than that when you need it! Also, when I change a part that's going bad but still has some life in it, it stays in the boat if possible. Starter, fuel pump, plugs (those are new), fuel filters (also new). They may not be the greatest, but they're good enough to get me (or someone else who may need it) back to the ramp. Sorry to write a novel, but I've been out with guys and had problems and the only tool in the boat was the needle nose pliers in the tackle box. Aggravating for a guy with a garage and boat full of tools:wink:

Darryl, I put el cheapo tools in the boat. No point in putting the Snap-Ons or Craftsman Professionals in there. If I'm lucky I'm only going to use them about once a summer:wink: Good Luck!

Branden

11. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    'been there done that. Luckily we hadn't launched yet and the multi-tool has a saw. Cut small branch off tree, wittle down to fit and tap it in. Crude, but it works. For those of you that have had plugs mysteriously disapear, watch out for them squirrels. We had a plug disappear and found it across the yard. The teeth marks in the rubber told the story. Them critters love to chew stuff. The small decorative chain is the ticket in this case.

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i keep my 2 xtra drain plugs in the livewell. They are of the floating variety so easy to find if i need them, Have not yet but who knows.

13. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    My old boat had holes in the spokes of the steering wheel. Turned out they were the same size as the drain plug. Handy place to keep a spare.