What to do if I catch a large flathead catfish.

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by goshawk, Sep 8, 2009.

1. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm sort of new to Kayaking, but was wondering if god forbid I should actually hook on to a big old flathead while in my Kayak.

What should I do to land it in the boat and and what size should I say no way.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Pat

2. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Glad to hear you're planning ahead for the big ones.
    Honestly, I am waiting for both the straightforward and humorous responses to this.

3. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    If it's real big, I think "in the boat" is not really an option. But, if you just want to catch and fight, I don't see why you should worry about a size limit. Just let him pull you all over until he tires enough for you to get him to the boat. Worst case, put him on a stringer long enough to get to shore, so you can snap some pictures.:big_smile:

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I was thinking the same thing the other day, I fish the Ohio river and I can see myself being dragged into the middle of the barge channel by a 60 lb blue. I think this is a lets wait and see if it happens kind of question and then you let us know how it went:big_smile:.

5. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My biggest worry is that it will find cover from which I can not pull it out.

Pat

6. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    You know, what you are calling a "worry" are the things we all dream about. Heck, if you don't get hung up you ain't in the right spot. At some point you just have to say "damn" and cut the line. And on the subject of cutting your line and losing a rig, of all the gear I have in my boat, the one thing I have the least of is time. Tie on another rig and get back to fishing.

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Wear the fish out as best as you can, If your not anchored let him pull you around a little extra long. Put your legs in the water to create more drag, throw out a drift sock if you want. When you get him tired out, bring him around to the front, and bring him right in to you on your leg. Lift your leg and the fish into the boat. Then paddle like crazy for some dry land.

I've tried this with blues but they flop too much in the boat, so I put a stringer on them and hook it to the anchor trolley in the back, NOT TO THE SIDE HANDLES. Then I paddle like crazy for the shore. Hope this helps, good luck.

8. Chalk Saunders

Chalk Saunders New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have been kayak fishing for some time. I target large fish from my yak. have caught many large fats from it. 100+lb sharks and 100+lb alligator gar. All out of my 11 foot tarpon and my 9.5 swifty. Once you wear them out its not hard at all. It took 3 hours to wear down the gar before I could pull him up and tie him off. Big cats are not to bad it is very easy if you have a friend in another yak. I put on some gloves so he doesn't tear up my hands and hold on tight, then have my friend tow me to shore. There is a pic in my album of me and a very big gar on my yak.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Now that you stopped a 100 banana car train what is it you boys want?

Well we was wonderin if you wanted to buy a possum.

You idiot, you done stopped a 100 banana car freight train to ask me if I wanted to buy a possum?
    Well since we're stopped how much you want fer him?

Don't know. We aint caught him yet. We just wanted to know if you wanted to buy one.
    :smile2:

Catch a big one. It'll come natural. Sink, swim, or enjoy the ride. There aint no playbook for that scenario.
    If it's any help, ocean kayakers have been flyrodding for sailfish and marlin.:eek:oooh: The ultimate kayak challenge.

10. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    if he hangs u up maybe its shallow enough u can just dive in after him. and to answer the "too big" question.....youll know when its too big when he sinks the kayak :smile2:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  11. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I landed a 44 lber from my 9 footer this year...lip him and put him in your lap...that is all there is to it.....:wink:

12. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    just let us know when tou catch that monster

13. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    well if you on the mississippi or missouri..have a cell phone on you so you can call when you end up 100 mmles away if you hook i BIG one!!!:wink::smile2::wink::smile2::smile2:

14. UpNorth Dude

UpNorth Dude New Member

State:
    Mn.