What To Do / (HELP)

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, Feb 21, 2008.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

I have this neighbor down the road who happens to have this horse in a fenced in pasture. No problem there, pin plenty big enough ,my grip is this.The poor thing don't have nothing to eat. I watched for 3 weeks once and never saw anyone around it,to feed or water it. Finally they gave it a large bale of hay. That was 2 weeks ago. Now the hay is all gone again,nothing but bare ground .Hopefully it don't go that long again with nothing to eat. Right now it looks plenty fat enough but just make me angry to see it treated that way.:angry:
    Any suggestions would be deeply appericated.
    Don't want to see neighbor getting into any trouble over this (not even thier horse.) In fact I don't know for sure who it belongs to.:confused2:
    Thier talking 3-4 inches snow " That horse needs something to eat" and took care of right.:sad2:
    Thanks I just had to get this off my chest.

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You could call the SPCA in that area and report it, I know it don't seem right to report them but that is not right either to let that horse go that long without food, or you could go buy some bails of hay and feed it a bail every day yourself.. Its up to you.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I would call animal control, the police, resource officer, and the fire department, sanitation dept, health dept, and public works. My point being I would call until someone found the owner of the animal and made darn sure it was better taken care of or removed from the owner. :angry:
    There is no sense in owning an animal if you can't or wont take care of it. The people can do better the horse cannot.

Thanks
    David

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    maybe if you started going over and feeding it they might take the hint to get off of their butts and start taking care of it. if that doesnt do the trick, go and ask them who it belongs too and if they dont know, ask them why they are keeping it. if they do know, might want to give the owner a call and explain the situation. i know you dont want the nieghbor to get into trouble, but sometimes it is either that or let the animal continue to suffer unnecassarily.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Strange as it may be, I agree with DH on this. That would pi$$ me off so bad!!!:angry: I don't like to see any helpless animal with nothing to eat or drink. Thats just downright inhumane and cruel!:angry::angry::angry:
    If he does get in trouble, good!!! He deserves it, he should take care of his responsibilities!!! I know I'd for sure make that phone call and in the meantime I'd get pics and also feed it a bale or 2 of hay till they come by.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Go to the feed store near you and buy a couple of bags of sweetfeed and a few bales of alphalfa. Go over there and feed the horse two quart pitchers of sweetfeed and a flake of alphalfa everyday, till something is done about this. I would not set idley by and watch this happen to an animal. Call whom ever you have to but don't let this go on...I beg you??? Do Something!!!!

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Tough call John. Horses have become useless items. They ain't worth a dime. Esp. since they can't be killed and sent to Europe anymore. No buyers, no one willing to spend the money to care for them. It is happening here as I speak. Only here it is a couple dozen horses standing out in the cold starving to death. Christ, here they open the gate and let them go and see if someone will take them in.

DH is right. Call somebody and..........

a. You feel better

b. But the guy who owns it will be PO'd at you forever.

c. The "authorities" who come out will give you the govt lingo that Govt employees are bred to give you. I.E. drop dead, I have to talk to my supervisor and here fill out this paperwork.

d. You can spend some of your moola and drop off a bale of hay. Fine and Dandy. That horse will go through those flakes like they were candy and you got tomorrow to worry about and the next day. It adds up and it is a long time till spring and some grass.

e. Find an animal nut who writes a column for your local paper. Become and "unidentified source" and let them take care of it with the power of the pen.

f. Maybe you are reading too much into the animals condition and if fact it is OK. You will never know, unless you have the husbandry to know. Get an experts opinion.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Also have too agree with this from DH, and most of the others matter of fact!, It is not about getting anyone into trouble, if they prove they are doing nothing wrong then they will not be in trouble, If they are THEN THEY DESERVE TO BE, IMO. It could be a number of things, so I would not worry about PO any one, that Horse didn't ask for it.............
    Randy

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thats areal good idea about going to the feedstore,only problem is (1.)I don't have the money to be doing that(wish I did) lucky to be able to take care of my own household. (2.) I really don't want to wind up in JAIL for trespassing You all know how people are now days.Not like when i was growing up.Now you don't dare step on someones property.
    Everyone has good ideas and I appericate it.LIke I said the horse is fat as of now ,,so just have to watch the food situation and if they don't at least get some hay in there I'll have to make a call. Thanks again.

10. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I wouldn't worry about the neighbors feelings much, I would however find someone to help me out. Go talk to someone about this, or go down and turn the horse loose, sounds as if he'd be better off on his own. Maybe you should talk to the neighbor, and ask him what is going on. Later Andy

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Around here, that's the business of the local sheriff's department. They get calls about animals all the time. I have a good friend who works for them. The neat thing about the sheriff, is that he's an elected official and more inclined to make you feel satisfied about him doing something vs. maybe calling someone else who is appointed to a "position for life" job.

Or, as postbeetle said... it could be that the horse is in fact doing just fine. The sheriff will get to the bottom of it though, and if something is wrong he'll find out why the owner isn't caring for his responsibilities.