What to do about my job....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by big-muddy, Apr 4, 2008.

1. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    Ok, so as some of you know i was a corporate trainer for erj dining(chilis). my job was to go out on the road to the new store openings and train the cooks for a couple of weeks. my home store is the one ive been at since november. i am the only "american" working in the kitchen. i had been unhappy there since i started. i got called up for an opening in december and they wouldnt let me go, cause they said they were understaffed. i havent been informed of any other openings since. i think i have been invited but they hid it from me. I have been hearing rumors that some of the hispanics working there were either not legal, or had fake documentation. there are 2 that cant speak english at all.
    yesterday i got to looking at one of my paystubs, and found that they still had me filed as married (im divorced) and they were paying illinois income tax on me (from my old store). however i am working in missouri. about that time one of the hispanics started in talking a bunch of crap about me to the other one in spanish (which i can understand perfectly). we started getting into it and the manager did nothing about it. i started getting busy and getting mad. i took a little breather and told the manager, "shoot man, i need a vacation". they actually owe me a one week vacation. well, we got to talking about it, and hes not trying to give it to me.
    that was it! i walked out. now they are trying to call me every hour begging me to come back. i dont know what to do. obviously i need a job to pay my bills, but i dont want to support a company that is part of the problem. im scared if i inform the irs of them screwing up my taxes, i am gonna end up being liable, and if i report them to immigration, they might be legal and ill look like an idiot. but i do think a few of them arent legal.
    im 26 years old and i want a job where i feel like i am doing somthing useful for society. ive considered the military, but im skinny as a rail, and im afraid i might fail at that. anybody got any friendly advice?

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    the only thing I can suggest is take ur resume to some of the other chains out there & maybe just maybe they might need somebody eactly just like u--there aren't many ppl who are willing to travel the country like that(ie married ppl)since u are not married, that would make u an ideal candidate for the job...I think u can find work easier than u might think u can,,give it a try...obviously they know they need u now, but it might be too late for them

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Shane, neither you nor the corp. have any major problems with your tax situation. A lot of people claim too many dependents or not enough dependents, depending on their tax bracket.

As for the illegals, inform the gov. people and let them decide.

You are not happy where you are working, so why don't you get yourself another job. It happens all the time. It appears that there is a large demand for good people in the fast food industry.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

4. rcjoyner

rcjoyner New Member

State:
    tn
    don't worry about being skinny - 44 years ago I was 6 ft and 135 lb - made it ok.

Don't do anything rash - think about it for a few days before acting.

A call to INS won't hurt anything - It can be a secret call (i can't spell anonomious)

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    its not fast food, i make 3 times as much money as that.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Join the Marine Corps, man!!!!! it doesnt matter how skinny you are, they will put some meat on your bones. We can use someone like you. Seriously though, if you are considering the military, make sure you go with one that you want to go with. The Air Force has all of the nice bases and the nice barracks, so that is one good thing. The Navy has a bunch of ships, so if you get sea sick then i wouldnt go with them. The Army, well they are the Army. The Corps has the traditions and get the most respect, but we are the bottom of the totem pole and dont really have the nicest things. and make sure if you go and talk to a recruiter that they give you the MOS that you want. Do NOT go open contract. annd dont let them BS you about it either. there are job openings in every MOS so dont let them tell you that there arent any. if you are married with kids it will be kind of hard, but you can do it. if you want shoot me a PM and i will tell you more about it. Right now there isnt any better job security than the military.

7. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    You are young enough to do anything you want. If you get up in the morning and go to work just for the paycheck, do some soul searching and decide what you would really like to be doing and earn a living at the same time. Then decide how to get headed in the right direction. Good luck, Catfishjon

8. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Listen to Joey when it comes to the weight thing.I went into the Army when I was 18 and I was just like you 6' 135 lbs 8 weeks later I topped out at 210.

One of the only things I would do over if I had the chance only this time I wouldnt lie about prior medical records :confused2:

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Shane my wife has worked for Chili's for 17 years and I know where you are coming from. The job you are doing she has done many times, you know, they pay your way and then work you to death then screw up your pay checks deal. She gave up the 'opening stores "junk a long time ago. Chili's is ok but I would much rather be a server than a trainer or manager. Management can and will be sent to other stores when ever they want. A family man has to up-root his whole life, yea they pay for it and you can make decent money but the hours are crazy...it aint worth it to us. The other thing we hate is their sissy arse pep rally , team player attitude they push, LOL. My brother and sister-in-law also worked for them...man I got stories, LOL.

Look, I know what you make but to be honest a good server makes just as good or better than the going out of town and " opening ". Servers have the least aggravation and the best money ; ) Besides the openings are only 2 weeks then you have a little fake opening day and your back home shortly.

Vacations....LOL, don't wanna go there much. When you finally get it your next problem is getting all your money. Chili's managers are always messing up on pay. They run contests and offer money or prizes for the most sales and then you pay hell trying to get your prize out of them.

As far as illegal immigrants working there it has nothing to do with you at all. When they are hired they HAVE to show SS card and state ID. Its not your problem if it's fake. Every Chili's has and does hire Mexicans for cooks, and yes they all can understand you but they will fake not understanding English.

PM me if you need to know anything we know a lot of the Corporate big wigs in Chili's ; )

-Jim-

Oh and if you do the server thing you can still travel to open stores, make the same money and not have to deal teaching or running the cooks ; )

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i tried to get into the front of house, but they said they needed me too much in the kitchen. my store is a franchise store, so they dont go by brinker's standards. even though they are supposed too. i do the openings for the extra overtime and the experience. im not sure they actually check for ids and ss cards, cause the other day there was a mexican guy just lookin in the window and they had him bussing tables 10 minutes later. our managers there are kinda weak. erj has now shortened the opening to get rid of the fake opening day all together. now they get there and they open the store two days later. on my last check i got from an opening, there was no tax info on it at all. it was just a little check that said "trainer pay" and showed the amount. it didnt say gross pay or net pay or anything. the lead trainer on one opening told me hes jumped the fence not once but twice. i want to leave the food service industry altogether. maybe i can get a job as a border guard!:big_smile:

11. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    For what it`s worth, my son was at Chili`s for awhile. He walked over the bull****. As of this hour he is being transported by special delivery by the biggest employer in the US, to FT BRAGG, lol.:eek:oooh::smile2:

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    A call to the INS wont do squat. If they kicked all the illegals out there would be no reason for the INS. SAD BUT TRUE.

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    LOL, my wife just read your stuff and said the Mexican people never like anyone else and try hard to run them off. They prefer to have their own kind working in the back.

Her store is also a franchise store, not Brinker anymore. Another option is to transfer to another store. My wife said if they called you to come back try it out and see what they change for you. If you don't it will be a write up and you are fired. I would avoid that if you can. Chili's is a good referral for another job. My brother worked at Chili's and became head cook then went to culinary school and is now a chef for a 5 star restaurant...pretty good money there. Management people at Chili's are all idiot's for the most part, LOL.

I say get out but on good terms. Burning your bridges never pays off. If you decide to get out of it all together I wish you the best of luck and hope you find something that you enjoy doing...g'luck

-Jim-

14. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    ur right about them running people off. they tried it with me, then they realized i was better than them. theres only the one that still messes with me, but he sucks, so screw him. they just called me again. i told em id come in sunday as long as i get my vacation and they fix my taxes and stuff. all the while ill be lookin for another job. its the weekend right now so i dont really have time or gas to go out job hunting. man i gotta get outta there, its drivin me nuts. hopefully fishin tomorrow will ease my mind a little. thank you everyone for all ur help. sorry if i seem like a little wuss.....:smile2:

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    You can still go back to work for em, but still look for a job in the meantime. I don't think now is the time to just quit. Economy is not real good. Also don't wanna look like a quiter to the next boss. There are jerks everywhere. Do what ya do and be good at it, you might be glad ya did someday. Not bein around people looks good until you're broke. Military is an option, you get plenty of overtime, just don't get paid for it. Managers and management cause 80% of all business problems. When ya get back, talk to the bosses about your concerns, may even be better terms or a raise in pay for ya. I've been to a Chiliis once or twice, not bad food and lots of it. How can ya be skinny?

16. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    if you join the military do the best to learn a trade that you can use when you get out. aircraft maintenance is a good occupation with benefits. whatever it is be able to apply it when you get out.

17. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    When you do go job hunting DO NOT SLAM YOUR OLD EMPLOYER IN THE INTERVIEW:wink: Sorry to "yell" with the caps, but you sound (legitimately so, from your story) like you're pretty peeved at your current employer. As a guy who's done a lot of interviews, that's a quick way to tank one. Remember, the person interviewing you doesn't know you and even if your gripes with a past employer are perfectly legit, you don't want to sound like a complainer at first-impression time. Say they were a learning experience but you've decided to move on to explore new opportunities, or that you had differing styles, or whatever, but don't go on a rant as soon as the interviewer says "So why did you leave your last employer?" or a question to that effect.

Also, as an FYI, with this being a public forum, slamming a current employer by name is something that might not be well advised if one of those "management idiots" takes up catfishing.:smile2:

Jim is dead on, it doesn't take a lot of trouble to leave a job on good terms. You never know when you may need a job or when someone from a past job might be in a position to help you out. Walking off with no notice makes it hard for someone to recommend you and very difficult for a company to take you back. And if they do, trust me, whoever you walked out on and left shorthanded won't forget it.

Think about the military long and hard before you do it. Once you're in, you're in until your contract's up, you're broken too badly to be of use anymore, or until you screw up bad enough to get booted with a bad discharge. I did a 4 year hitch in the Marines in the mid-90's when all was pretty calm and it wasn't bad, but I also saw a lot of guys who didn't really ponder exactly how long a 4 or 6 year enlistment really was before they signed up:wink:

The tax thing isn't your fault and as long as you get with your HR person and get it corrected you shouldn't have an issue.

Sorry to sound like a corporate geek, but it comes with being a corporate geek:big_smile:

Good luck with it, whatever you decide!

18. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    if u like to travel go to truck driving school not bad money being a driver i do about a grand to 1400 a week and home every nite

19. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    im going back on sunday. they said they would give me my vacation so im taking it during the missouri gathering(unless ive found another job by then). and dont worry about my bosses joining the club, anytime i mention going fishing they look at me like i have horns growing outta my head. they're all pretty stuck-up and fishing is "dirty" to them. thanks for the interview advice.what i am really considering is trying to work on the barge, any of u guys ever done that before? whats is like and how do i get into it?

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I aint gonna tell you what to do,Shane,But I would blow the whistle LONG and HARD and let the chips fall where they may. Then I'd find another job. Joey has a good idea,If you are that patriotic,thats the place ya need to be,They will make a man out of ya ,Thats for sure.