What to do about a hotheaded sidekick?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by dip, Aug 12, 2006.

1. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    the other nite we were fishin loramie and BAM! 3 rednecks set up 20' away from my sidekick. 30 miles of shoreline and they had to set up rite on top of us. didn't bother me near as much as my sidekick but i honestly thought he was gonna git us in a tussle. THAT LEADS TO MY Q:

should i back up my hot headed sidekick and whoop some yahoos even though i don't want to or should i just kick back and watch the show?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I can see no need to start anything. If the need arrises to finish somethin by all means open the can up. LOL!

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Put him on a leash, LOL!!!
    As long as these so-called rednecks didn't cross-up your lines, I don't see where them being there would be a problem. I think that people get a little over reactive at times, but to tell you the truth, these guys may have wound up being good friends before the night was over, You never know. I have met many great fishermen on the banks of rivers and they all had something to share. Of course I have also met some that I wished I had never met, but you have to take the good with the bad.

4. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    no reason to start a fight if you don't have too. Now finishing one is a different story! Just keep fishing!
    Lisa

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    starting a big stink i think would have been a bad way to handle it
    but i think asking them why they felt it to be necessary to move in so close with all the open shore line available and unused wouldnt have been
    out of line.

i cant see what it is that makes people think " hey heres a fella fishin .
    lets just set up right in the same area "

that to me screams 2 things

1. blatant disregard for anothers fishing expieriance. either they dont care
    if you like it or not they want to fish your area cause they have been there before and feel a sense of ownership or think maybe you found a sweet spot and want to run you off so they can take over

2. total and utter stupidity or oblivious ignorance

i think there may be people that walk around with blinders on and think that their actions whatever they may be are harmless and they would be seriously baffled if they knew that it really upset or aggrivated you that their presence was a form of encroachment to you.

myself i would never set up so close to someone on a large area of water
    if they were there first then its there spot .

6. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Happens alot when I'm wade fishing inthe bays off of the gulf of mexico (Yes saltwater fishing). We'll get in right at daybreak and be in the water wading away from the boat and someone will pull up 50 foot from you and drop anchor. Especially if they see you have a fish on. Immediate magnet to bring boats over to your fishing area. Just something I've learned to live with but like your friend very hard to swallow. I've learned that when I hook a trout i put my whole rod under the water except for the reel and that seems to help somewhat.
    There is no excuse for pure stupidity but I try to keep from sinking to their level. Although I have been known to accidently cast into the side of a boat or the motor purely by accident........ Wind must of been blowing pretty hard if I remember correctly. Be safe on the water and fish another day.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Best thing to do is bring a bunch of firecrackers with you...And the next time that happens start letting them off untill they leave!

8. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ooooooooooooo man......when you got your buddy in a fight, i think you should watch it. unless he asks yea for back up then dont fight, get it on camera and ifn he loses, send it to country fried home videos on cmt and you could win 1,000 bucks. man! good deal!

9. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Always back up a brother , but if he was wrong the fun ain't over because its time for some "school'in", that he may need .

10. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Shoot, I'm all bark. Just did some complaining loud enough for only dip to hear so I could let it out of my system. If I didn't drown the yacker that time he paddled under my line while fishing out of a boat then I can handle a few inconciderates taking up my space. The one guy missed crossing my line with his big red and white bobber by only a few inches though. I did have a plan, the first time my line was crossed I was gonna jerk, reel, jerk, reel untill their rod went into the water.

Ya see I used to be all laid back with little that would get me going till I started fishing with dip. He's the most disgruntled, hate the world person I know and he is rubbing off on me. And besides, if they was gonna start something for something I said I was just gonna point at dip and say "he said it" and sit back and watch myself. They are just lucky that they sat up on my side, as dip would have no part of being invaded in such a way.

11. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Now, I don't always do what I should, but I always back up my friend if he's in a fix he can't handle himself... but that does seem a pretty lame reason to get in something, unless they were bein'...ya know.... @#$% holes... But like JW said, you could've ended up bein' pretty good friends, or you might not've. Just remember that handy little piece of information right there, bud. And you'll do alright.

-Red

12. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sit back and enjoy the show unless he is out numbered are the other guy just won't quit. I know it sounds harsh but I have had to do it with my cousin who loved to start trouble and then "jump in my back pocket". After it happened twice, I pulled him out and handed him over; it never happeded agian.

13. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    What I've done before are two things. Open up my stink bait jar, and make sure it's up wind of the intruders. If that doesn't work, I play 1001 stupid questions until they take the hint, or they annoyed, pack up and leave.

I agree, there have been times I've been fishing, and with all the spots available to throw their lines in, they gotta be within 20 feet of me. I think these people have co-dependency issues.

I don't condone fighting. You never know who carries a gun these days. But if it was my fishing buddy in a fight, youre darn right Id have his back!

14. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd say only fight if you absolutely need to. There is no reason for your sidekick to go out of his way to start trouble if it isn't worth it.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Oh I've run around with the types before. Most of the ones I've run across are the big boys. Big muscles and tall.
    The problem is they run their mouth until the situation deteriorates to the point that there is going to be a fight.
    The only problem now is his mouth isnt anywhere around to get punched.
    He has conveniently gone to the can, or to the truck for a pack of cigarettes.

Yea, I've been there a few times. I know the type.
    With age I learned to choose my pals more carefully.

16. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    MarkJ said:
    "Yea, I've been there a few times. I know the type.
    With age I learned to choose my pals more carefully."

I agree with Mark....bottom line, I would have first told him to keep his mouth shut and in short, find yourself a new sidekick!

I can't help but wonder....was there booze involved?

Larry

17. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    dang guys, read the whole thread. it wasn't like I stood up and called these guys out. geesh And no, I don't drink.

18. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    no drinkin, i last had a beer cross street from michigan cabela's about 4 years ago...... but by golly my sidekick did take off on me leaving poor little me to fend for myself. HMMMMM..........

hay kenny, that's how i used to "reserve" my fishin spots! rub leftover stink bait on picnic table.... it would be open the next time!

19. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    By my standards they should have asked.Had they asked.By my standards,I would have had to then welcome them,make the best of it and hope I had found new friends.By law and whether I like it or not they have the same right to be there as I,if it is a public place.I will do all that I can to keep from fighting.Afraid no.To keep them or I from being hurt or killed,yes.I have had hunters and fishermen order me off of my property and threaten me if I didn;t.I have really had to work real hard to keep some one from dying and killing over this.The trouble with people that need killing is that they are seldom worth the cost.peewee-williams

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Situations like that calls for some spastic side arm casting. That will usually open up some room. If they started crossing lines it's time to get the knife out and "cut the tangled lines free". His line of course!
    Luckily where I fish there are alot of trees so there usually isn't enough room for more than two fisherman.