What to choose Boat Rod or TIGER rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Mar 21, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I ordered 2 TIGERS today 1 Medium and 1 MH rod and will be picking them up at BASS PRO here in St. Louis in a few weeks. I'm also getting another 100.00 this week and I thought about getting one of the 8' Black Boat Rods that Ugly Stick has at BASS PRO, it's a HEAVY model rated for 20 to 60 lb. I believe, it sells for around 65.00----certainly looks like a good rod to use with either a 7000c3 or Penn 320 for river fishing---however the M or MH TIGERS are less exspensive and I'm well aware that they are a great rod, just don't know what would be the best. If I got another Medium Tiger I could at least use it as an optional Channel Cat rod also. Any suggestions on what you all think would be the best way to go.

2. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    The MH Tiger will handle a pretty darn big fish. If you want a heavier rod to rig for the really, really, big guys I don't see why the Ugly Stick Boat Rod paired with the 320GTI wouldn't do it for you. I use a Quantum Big Cat (7'6")rod and 310GTI for my big baits and big fish and it is more than adequate.

Looks like you are building quite an "arsenal". Have fun and good luck on getting the big one.

3. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Ya, told my wife this year before I started buying fishing equipment that I didn't have a whole lot of channel rigs and that I got so excited the last couple years about hearing you all catch the big cats that I went and bought the big stuff. I'm not sorry I did, I do use my 7000's for channels---they are spooled with 25 lb. at the moment, just like the action of the 7000 a little better than my 6000 and 6500. I've got the equipment to catch the biggin's, but they won't work unless I go out and put myself in the position to do so, which I haven't the last few years. Hopefully this will be the year that it all starts, don't expect to catch a monster off the bat but a good 40 or so lber would be nice.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I dont think you can go wrong with an ugly. I went to cabelas last weekend for a m/h tiger and a 320ld, sheesh I had to ask 3 people to find my reel before i got it (the last guy looked in the back for me). One guy told me none of the cabelas carried the m/h tigers I should have asked someone else about the rod. I ended up getting the 7' m/h big water boat rod 20-50# looks real good with the penn the gold red black all look good together feels like a killer combo.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Sounds like you guys have got some nice equipment. As for me I won't buy a black rod for catfishing and if someone gave me one, I would paint it white. It's hard to see a black rod good at night. Just my two cents. Vern

6. madcatter

madcatter New Member

State:
    West Virgina
    I have worked my way up to 8 Tiger Rods, 1/2 with Penn 320 GTI, 1/2 with C3 7000. I really like the 7000's but have yet to kill the 320's. Only time will tell. If you use BPS get their Offshore Angler catalog if you don't already have one. I fish the James River in Virginia, alot and prefer the BWC2202,7ft., 30-60 because we fish with big bait and a lot of lead. Their $55.95, on page 59.

7. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Madhatter, I have 1 MH TIGER the one your talking about and I've ordered 1 Medium and another MH TIGER and I should pick them up in about a week. I really do like the Tigers myself, about a year ago I channel catted with my MH and my 7000c3 loaded with 25 lb. mono, I'm sure it was way overdoing it but I really like using the 7000's for channels. I'll probably just stick with the TIGERS since they run cheaper than the boat rods, I'm probably going to put my 320's on my MH'S and my 7000's on the Mediums, I'm planning on getting another Medium here pretty soon.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Brandon

I was in that Cabelas a week ago Monday and they had 3 of the MH Tigers in stock. That was unusual, they don't usually have them. I went back on Sunday, just 6 days later, and they were gone. You would think with sales like that they would try a little harder to keep them in stock. That MH Big Water Boat Rod will work just as well, though. ;)

9. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Ya, the BASS PRO here in St. Louis area seems to have the MH and the ML TIGERS quite often, but I was told that I'd have to have the store to special order the Medium Tigers. They also had 3 8' Heavy Action Ugly Stick Boat Rods for 64.00, that's a little steep when I'm certain the MH TIGER is 55.00 and can certainly match up with no problem.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Their sales people seem kinda lazy and ignorant in their fields. The guy I asked about the tiger rod tried to tell me it was a catalog only rod when I knew better my friend bought one from there after they opened. I had the med. tiger with me when I was asking him and he asked what I was fishing for (flats-blues) " oh that (med. tiger) aint heavy enough" whatever! It was far heaver than the whippy rods he was grabbing for me to look at:rolleyes: Thanks for the help ha ha. Ill look for myself. About like the guy in the guns I told him what I was looking for and he would keep bringing me the same brand out of the price range I set. I wish it was closer to home Id get me a job their so someone might get the help they needed. S#!% the last 2 times I was there people were asking me to help them and I was just shopping:rolleyes: .
    Id Imagine that boat rod will get-er-done, with the drag cranked on the 320ld and line coming out the rod beged for more.