What to Buy?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Cat catcher10, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Cat catcher10

Cat catcher10 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was lookin to buy a new rod and reel for catfishing.I want something that is gonna last me for a while too.

Any suggestions? any help would be great..

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Get an Ugly Stik Catfish Rod with a Abu or Penn reel. Can't beat it.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ugly stik white catfish rod, 7ft m/h action and a abu 6500 reel.

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I'm sure not disagreeing with Zakk or Jack cause they both catch more and bigger cats than I do but I just got a 7 ft, MH Tiger Rod with a 6600 Abu reel this summer and I am totally in love with this outfit.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    If you're talking about the Ugly Stik Tiger rod I definitely agree with you, they are also very, very nice rods, just cost more then the Ugly Stik Catfish rods.

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I agree with what has already been suggested. But,,,I like spinning equipment. They make Ugly Stik spinning rods too.:big_smile: My favorite brand of spinning reel is Shimano. I've not had a lick of trouble with one and I've probably got a dozen of 'em (and they are all on Ugly Stiks). So that would be my suggestions, if you like spinning gear, and get them in a size to fit your needs.

st

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep, best rod brand is definitely Ugly Stik in my opinion, and for reels, Abu, Penn, and Shimano.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    For the money and for nearly all your needs, that's a combo that can't be beat.

Check your local Wal-Mart stores - most of them have the 6500C3 reels on clearance for $15 to $20 off the regular price. They'll be locked in the display case.

If that doesn't pan out, catfishconnection.com has good prices on the 6500C3 reels.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with all of the above post. You failed to tell us what size of fish you will be after. I like the 7000c3 reels and the Quantum Big Cat rods in M/H. I doubt you could go wrong with any of the suggestions posted. Good Fishing

10. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use Tsunami spinning rods in 7' MH with Shimano 6500B baitrunners and i'm still waiting for a cat to give me a challenge. This combo is awesome if fishing from a boat, if fishing from shore you might want to get a longer rod. Tsunami is a new name in the fishing industry and they are great rods.

11. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    you can go wrong with the ugly stik catfish rod. And I love my Abu 6500 C4 reel. Just picked up a Penn 209 and I'm anxious to get it going.

12. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC

I'm a wal-mart guy to and they sell this shakespeare combo (spinning) it's called a contender the rod is 6.5 feet and the reel (open face/spinning) will handle plenty of 30-40 lb test (or bigger) (I have 65lb suffix braid) but best of all it sells for about $28.00 i have purchased two of them and have caught plenty of BIG cats on them....

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Need a lil more info to give the best answer. What kinda reel are you wanting, baitcaster, spinning or spincast? Where will you be fishing the most, ponds, lakes, or rivers?

14. Styx

Styx New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know what your budget is. Cheap sometimes works. I.m also a wal-mart guy. If you don't want an open face reel, the cheap 'ol Shakespear 7' rod with a Tiger Bait casting reel works real good for the money. Myself and my buddy have caught up to 55 lb blues with no problem at all and they sell for under $20.00. They come with 20 lb line and the rod is m/h. I have 5 of them myself and have used them for several years.

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    seems everybody has given you good advice , i use a 7000 abu ugly stick 7' mh 30# biggame and do greeeeaaaaatttt lol .

choose your poisen let us know what you do and how well you like it or dislike it either way good luck

16. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    abu or penn reels are the best in my opinon.

17. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    if you are going for some pretty good sized fish i woukd get a catmaxx with a peen reel,well hope this helps

18. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    An Ugly cat combo would be a great set up to start with .

19. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I don't have one but from what I have heard on here, those Ugly~Stix Tiger rods are supposed to be the greatest gift to catfishing apparently! LOL. HTH.

20. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    oh yeah, If your goin for those flatties then I suppose you'd need one of those AbuGarcia reels. I don't know much about them but I'm Positive that just about everyone here can help you pick out a good reel! I'm guessin the A.G.4000? idk?