Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I "convinced" the better half into me spending some money. My choice is either going to be a Terrova with spot lock, or Helix 7 with side scan. As much as I'd love to do both, the cookie jar isn't that full. Which one of them would you get and why?

Premium Member
Too many unknown factors Tr33. First, do you already have a decent trolling motor and fish finder? And if so, which would you rather replace and also you should ask if anyone knows about any special deals or sales on these items.

There should be others commenting with some good discussion on the items you are thinking about but everyone make mistakes so do your research on the information provided.

keep in mind that Cabalas gives a 5% discount to veterans if that helps any. Bass Pro should do the same but you would need to check.

tight lines

Registered
Dave from ohio
Like tom said it depends what you already have. I f you have a fish finder already, I would go with the trolling motor, if you already have a troll motor I would upgrade the finder

Registered
Winston, Indiana
鈥︹︹︹..Which one of them would you get and why?
In either case, only you can answer the 鈥淲hy鈥.
After that it鈥檚 a case of which one do you really need the most鈥. Ask yourself which of the two being absent from your boat would be most detrimental to your fishing.

鈥

Registered
If it were my decision I would have to consider what type of fishing I do. Being my primary style is suspended drifting I don't know how I could get by without either but I could do with a much less expensive DF until the cookie jar started to get a little built back up. Locally a used, working DF can be had for 35-40 dollars, it is going to be small and have few features with only a fish ID icon and not much else but it will allow you to know the depth. Good Luck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have a decent trolling motor (Minnkota power drive) and a decent finder (Lowrance Elite 4hdi) . For me the upgrades would be spot lock or side scan. There are benefits to both in my eyes and needs

Why and what would you prefer to upgrade if you could choose one?

Premium Member
TR does your trolling motor that you have now have a remote? I didn't look your unit up to see what it had. Just getting a remote was a big improvement to my fishing. Spot lock is nice but being able to press a button from anywhere in the boat was a realm game changer. The Feature that keeps the boat pointed at the same location is great when drift fishing or dragging baits

Now I have a depth finder with a 7 inch screen and side scan. To be honest, the screen is just too small to get the best results. Yes it is useful for seeing logs, tree limbs and maybe rock structures but don't figure on seeing Charlie tuna and identifying him.

Registered
Well for me, I put a Ultrex on a couple months ago and that thing changed my life! The spot lock really is a game changer it me. But as stated about it has a lot to do with what your using now. Also to me where your fishing most of the time. If I was fishing a swift river I think electronics is the way I would go. I鈥檓 lake fishing pretty much full time so I think the spot lock is a super addition. I got both, I saved my money and got the Ultrex mega DI I pilot link with the Helix mega 8 di. I fish for cats, crappie and bass and the setup really takes a lot of the work out of it! I love it!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may have found a loophole in my purchasing鈥. Does anyone have any experience with the pilot upgrade kit? It鈥檚 less than half the price of a new motor. My trolling motor is compatible to the kit sold for the Powerdrive. If that鈥檚 the case, there鈥檚 a chance to swing for the fence and upgrade both!

Registered
Hope that loophole works out for ya. Being you have both already, if it were me I would go with the new DF. My reasoning being finding structure and fish is more productive than the ease of using a higher tec. TM. Having said that I put a Ulterra on my new boat and I am as spoiled as a guy can get, pushing a button to deploy and retract is sweet. Good Luck.

Registered
Steven from Georgia
A fancy trolling motor can help you catch fish when you find them.

Side scan can help you find the fish to catch.

If i had to choose i would upgrade the graph.

Reactions: Tr33guy

Registered
Moneywise, you could get a much bigger graph than 7" for the same $$$ you would spend on a Terrova. I should know, I just bought a Terrova! Might make your decision easier. A 7" graph is too small for most uses on a full sized boat.

Registered
Dave from ohio
I thought they quit making the ipilot for the powerdrive, but I may be mistaken, I will look in to it further.

Registered
Dave from ohio
Checked it out, and they stopped making the ipilot for 2017 and older. But trollingmotorepair.com shows they still have some, might check them out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Checked it out, and they stopped making the ipilot for 2017 and older. But trollingmotorepair.com shows they still have some, might check them out.
Have you used this company before? I should be good to go - everything checks out for the kit to work on my motor. Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
did you mean trollingmotorparts.com?

trollingmotorepair didn't come up for me......

Registered
Dave from ohio
yes thats it, trollingmotorparts.com sorry about that. I have never used them, just found them when looking it up for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts