Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried searching this but no luck. what time is the best time and not the best? Ive read later in the evening or early morning. if thats so what is the reason? planning on going out saturday just dont wanna show up to early or stay to long if theres no need to.
thanks

· Registered
108 Posts
It's rare that I catch many anytime of the day... but the 2 I've managed to catch has been at totally different times of the day.

First cat was caught at around 11:00 am- Sunny but Partly Cloudy - Using Garlic Chicken Livers.

Second was caught at around 9 pm - Very calm night - no wind - Using Garlic Chicken Livers.

I am a firm believer that if you are patient enough you can target cats no matter what time it is. Granted it's a "gimmie" that cats feed mostly at night... but you can still do PLENTLY good nuff early morning, midday, late afternoon. Hell, I guess what I am trying to say is...

I fish every chance I get and It's rare I catch fish, but there is no pattern for me. Heh.

· Registered
718 Posts
to be honest . i make a habit of getting at my spots 1 hour befor sunset sometimes 2 hours befor if the wife wants a bit of a sun burn ouchie but this gives me time to set up all of our gear and perhaps catch a few blue gill on bread with tiny hooks.
if really lucky even some 1-2 inch bream or blue gill and use em live ... not sure what type of cat your fishing for , or the area ..... if your very lucky you might have 5 or more types of cat fish to chase and might try 1 rod with liver if you really need it and use a 2-3 inch peice of blue gill head and a stout 5-8 circle hook and then put the a 2-3 inch belly / gut part pther half of the blue gill and give the belly a tinder squeeze LOL looks like a confettie popper LOL if this does not bring out the diffarent types of cats sundown to 9pm watch YOUR RODS and change bait if needed .. some times if no bite i change my rig to a 3way swivel and change presentation . 9pm-11pm is slow and 11pm-12am the bite is hit n miss 1-2 i start packing up this is when i go home slow er bites and moon phases and weather often give you mixed results gl livers get eaters n gills / shad / shinners get MONSTERS . gl never give up

· Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,669 Posts
Timothy,
There is absolutely a pattern....I'm not trying to be a smart arse but You aren't catching fish using Garlic Chicken Livers!!!
Try using something different, cut or live sunfish, shad, cut sucker, live creek chubs, soft craws.

It's rare that I catch many anytime of the day...
First cat was caught at around 11:00 am- Sunny but Partly Cloudy - Using Garlic Chicken Livers.
Second was caught at around 9 pm - Very calm night - no wind - Using Garlic Chicken Livers.....
I fish every chance I get and It's rare I catch fish, but there is no pattern for me. Heh.
John,
Fish feed all hours of the day and night. I agree that some times are "magic" on some waters but there are always fish feeding somewhere. Finding them is another matter...W

· Registered
29 Posts
I usually do all of my fishing in the morning. I usually always catch something. I start about 8am and fish til I stop catching.

· Registered
241 Posts
Late afternoon, say 4pm clear up to 3am can be good fishing, and again from about sunrise to 10 am, it depends alot on you knowing where the fish are at the time you are fishing, afternoon they will be in the deeper holes and slack water pools hanging out, and when it cools off and the sun goes down they move to the shallows to feed. It also depends on weather, moon phase, and water conditions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.