What Time of day do you Catch Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by puddle jumper, Jun 8, 2009.

What Time of day do you Catch Flattys

1. Sun Rise - 10AM

2. 10 AM - Noon

3. Noon - 3 PM

4. 3 PM - 6PM

5. 6PM - Sun Set

6. Sun Set - 10 PM

7. 10 PM - Midnight

8. Midnight - 3AM

9. 3 AM - 5 AM

10. 5 AM - Sun Rise

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Ive been reading a article that says that the best time of day to catch flatty's was from dark to midnight:confused2: So I was wondering what you guys have seen,,Is there a set rule, or does it depending on the conditions, the time changes like everything elce..
    When is the best time..
    Puddle
    I realize sun-set and sun-rise changes but I wanted to make the distinction from light to dark..:big_smile:

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like to get out early so sunrise to 10 works good for me. If they're on the bite I may just stay longer. If not I go back to the house hide the job jar and take a nap.:wink: Stay safe and good luck out there.

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Whenever I fish for Flatheads, I fish all night regardless. I have caught them at all hours of the night so it's hard to narrow down a specific time frame.

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I voted sunset to 10 pm,but that 6pm to sunset would come in a real close second with me.:big_smile:

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Most of my fish come right around sunset until 10-10:30'ish...then again right around sun up.

7. Les101

Les101 Guest

I agree the magic hour at dusk 9 to10 p.m. I also have fished all night with success at different times.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My favorite times for flatheads is between 9pm-midnight. With a few coming at dawn!:wink:

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This is my span exactly.
    I make sure I'm set up and queit @ 8-8:30- latest. after 11 0r midnight, I might go hunting and poking for them in pre scouted areas on my way back to the ramp.... I think noise and light are even more critical when hunting after bite time though.
    ie spot and running lights, anchor splashes, dropping stuff in the boat etc.

10. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I set up by 8 and sit for a 2 to 4 hours depending on the bite. If I don't get a bite than I move. But I stay out all night and have had good luck at different times in the night. And usually just before the sun comes up.
    And then I switch to the bass gear and throw around for about 4 hours and than it's nap time. Wake and do it again.

11. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish from before sunset, all night, and till after sunrise, slam some coffee and drive home.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Dan,
    I think that about covers it for me,,,Same exact pattern,,
    I like to have wet lines at least right before the sun goes down, till right after it comes up.

Still not too good at the daytime targeting of the Flatheads.. Very few..
    Channels are a bit more frequent in the daylight..

13. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I believe most people are going to say from sunset to midnight just because that is when most people catfish and therefore that is when they will catch them. I can't disagree either. That is a magical time.

But, I have been fishing this year though the day and have been doing pretty good at catching flatheads. My best in the day time was 14lb. I believe if in the right spot with right bait they will hit any time of the day.

I didnt believe this until a tournament I was in this year from 12 pm to 8pm. It was 82 degrees and there was 2-30+ lbers, 6-20 to 30lbers and probably 12 more smaller one weighted in between 6 boats.

But I would agree with everyone else that from 8pm to 1am.

14. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Yeah you can catch some nice flatheads in the daytime, especially when the water is still cool. It gets up to 80 degrees and its harder to catch them during the day. My time frame is 7 pm till about 1 am. I catch a few fish throughout the night, but most of them before the sun even goes down

15. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    on trotlines we have always done best about 1-3:30 am but have caught at all hours..even the heat of the day in shallow water

16. flatheadsteve

flatheadsteve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i always do my best at sun up til about noon and then about an hour before dark. ive had good luck at just about all hours of the day and night tho.

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i like ta get to the spot about an hour before dark so i can get set up then stay out fishin til i'm out of bait, which could be midnite or could be 4 am, alot of times while bank fishing i'll move up or down river a couple miles to different spots depending on what the bite is like, but for the most part its an all niter:wink:

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Here's what I have experienced, the bite is good a half hour before dark to 10PM. 10PM to 11PM usually sucks. Then it picks up after 11:30PM.

It all depends on the season too!

19. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I know the bite time moves around a bit. I didn't get a flat last year till August because of the flooding. I think I sat out till 1am to get the first one and not a bite till then. I haven't been one to pull all nighters but I think people who do catch more fish. I have to nap. Set the alarm and sleep for 1/2 hour. repeat. After you have a light on and move around it takes them a while to start moving around again on a small river. Plus, if you take a few naps you can not be falling down tired by morning.

20. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

I agree 100%