WHAT TIME IS THE BEST TIME TO FISH ON THE RIVER?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by jlcperformance, Mar 20, 2009.

1. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    I was just curious to hear some of u more experienced guys input on when u have the best luck fishing rivers? i have always thought it would be best late at night from about 10 pm til 5 am but have had most of my luck lately in the late afternoon. i usually fish a lot of different depths and usually target the shallows at night and deeper during the day. just curious as to what u guys think. i know everybodys opinion is different just looking for some new things to try

2. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Talking to several guys that fish the river, I have heard ever month is good.

I talked to Spanky from St. Joe and he told me two weeks ago he has already had 200 fish in the boat this year.

3. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    im no expert but the guys i talk to say the very begining of dusk, right when the sun is starting to dip down is when the big guys come out. in my experience this is a fairly true statement as i have landed some big channels around this time, but in fairness i typacly stay out till about 5 am also and consistently catch great fish all night.

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I love night fishing, but some of my biggest cats have come during the middle of the day. Also like to get out in the middle of the winter for the channels and blues. you pretty much have the whole river to yourself and don't have to deal with the recreational boaters and jetski's.

Also like to fish right before a front moves in. When the rivers are on the rise is also a good time it seems. I pay attention to the barametric pressure and more times then not, I'll have those days that you live for. When the conditions are right and your in the right place at the right time, it can get down right fun. the full moon on the right can be a love or hate relationship, but seems right before and right after the full moon is another good time.

Reading back over what I wrote, it sure seems like just about anytime I can get on the river is a good time.

old saying I guess comes into play. ""you can't catch them sitting home on the couch.:wink:

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    To me the best time to be on the river is whatever time it is I get there. I have caught fish in every month of the year and just about any hour of the day you can name. Just being there is a thrill for me. The fish are just a bonus.

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Any time I can go. But 3 hrs befor sunset and about 3 hrs after seem the best for me. I also do the best in may-july and sep-nov.

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm with Bob, I enjoy being out there and I've caught fish at times (wrong bait, bad day, river not where I wanted it, whatever) that I would have bet my next paycheck I'd never get a bite at. I don't catch many fish, but for me it's just a ball being out on the water where it's quiet.

That being said, I'm most confident on those nights in late July and August when it's still so hot and muggy at 3AM it's miserable, the water's about 85 degrees, there's no moon, and the river has been steady for a long time. Under those conditions even small fish hit like freight trains.

The only time (other than winter) when I'd really rather be home is during the daylight hours in the dog days of summer. I'm pretty sure I could be a top tournament fisherman if it wasn't for my aversion to daytime fishing. Oh, and the fact that 8 times out of 10 I'm out I don't catch a fish:smile2:

8. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Heck Branden, at least your running 20 percent. Here lately I can't even brake 5 percent. :crazy:

No really for me its the summer nights, from a hour before dark and a few hours after. The channels are easy to catch late at night on the flats.

9. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Sounds ike osmeone just needs to go fishing.

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    For us, it owuld be sundown to approx 10pm...then it picks up again around 3-6am...sporadic bites throughout the night sometimes.

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If I had to pick one hour to fish it would be between 10pm and 11pm. Another hour that seems to be good is an hour before sunrise to sunrise. The bite seems to slow some between 12am and 3am. Branden is right though constant water levels for a week or more is best. I like it when the river starts to turn green and the water temp is in the 80's. Get in on those sand flats and start fishing from 2 foot - 6 foot of water. A good sand flat will have bait activity as well.

12. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    with me experince on the river , it has always been about 10pm to 2am

13. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Pre spawn would be best but mid to late August at night like Brandon said. Get up in the shallows with the bait and turn out the lights and sit still. If the bait is flippin they will come sooner or later. When you start hearing them role and carry on you could get that screamer bite any minute. Love fishing in late summer, can't wait till it's time again. Oh, put on some bait that you think will choke them if they try and swallow it and hold on.

14. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like daylight fishing and want to be on the river and fish from about 5 AM-till about 10 and also 4 PM till about 8. Works for me. Stay safe and good fishing!!!:wink:

15. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    A little before daylight untill around 8 or 9 in the morning has always worked best for me, second best is at dusk.

16. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I like to fish the river when the water is rising.

17. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Anytime really......You just have to get out there to catch fish! :wink:

18. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think that if you sit in one spot all day and all night, the time of day is more of a factor, but if you bring your bait to them, it don't matter as much. You just have to move around during the day to locate them, or drift. JMHO