Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I was just wondering what time of day/night do you land the big Flathead and blues? Has anyone ever caught any in the the middle of the day with rod and reel? What time do you usually go out to fish these beauties?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I don't think anyone can say when a big cat will bite. I only fish day time and catch both flats and blues , others only fish at night and catch them also.It is more about putting in the time to learn your water.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I want to know when they bite also!!. The answer to your question is anytime your out you have to have confidence in your ability to find a big cat. Other then that 10pm. :cool2: 10pm - 11pm seems to be a good time then it slows down some and starts to pick up again around 1am.. But hey if you don't go when you can you will never catch one.

·
Registered
549 Posts
i fished a tourny last yr on the ohio river during the day. 8am till 3pm. it was 95 degrees. 1st place had 5 fish with a total weight of 155 pounds. they didnt have big fish it was caught by another team and it weighed 72 pounds. i think its more of finding the big fish no matter what time.

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
The fish in my Avitar only 17.5 lbs was caught at noon on a cold38* day in december. I catch my bigger blues during the winter months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I do almost all my cat fishing at night 10pm till 10am. They are all good eating size but not many monsters. When I was younger I would go about 4pm till 3am and around 8pm i would catch big one's, but i guess it just depends on the mood of the fish and when they want to eat.

·
Registered
415 Posts
For me 11:00-1:30 or 2:00 am. But that is because I usually get free to fish during those times!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have caught all my biggest fish in the day no certain time just keep fishing where the big ones hang out and you will hook into one sooner or later. Using the right bait helps also.All my big fish have been caught on skipjack or mooneye not on shad. It seems like night either can be real good or real bad. At night I think the fish roam alot more feeding and during the day they sit and ambush.:0a23:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't think that any particular time of day is best. It's like deer hunting: Either you go to them or let them come to you. At night (when they're roaming), I hunker down and let them come to me. During the day, I go to them and try to drop the bait in their bedroom.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I don't think anyone can say when a big cat will bite. I only fish day time and catch both flats and blues , others only fish at night and catch them also.It is more about putting in the time to learn your water.

No truer words were ever spoken. Only twist I gotta consider is the tide.:wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.