What the right size bullhead catfish to use for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by david of indiana, Apr 9, 2006.

1. david of indiana

david of indiana New Member

After fishing a pond in Arkansas that has a huge number of bullheads of a variety of sizes I was wondering which size would be best for bait. The bulls are up to 2 pounds. I was curious what size would be best for 25pound or bigger channels and flatties.

Thanks for the advice in advance
    Peace
    David

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Between 6" and 12" would be my bet!!!

3. Slimkat

Slimkat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I Agree With Dreadnaught. 6'' To 12'' Inches.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yep, same here...

5. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Same as the other posts 6-12 inches. Myself and TA2D also cut most of their tail fin off. This way they can't head for immediate cover, and get you snagged.

SudDawg

6. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    If you want big flats use big bait. Those big bullheads work reallll good.

7. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I would also agree i use between 4&6 and sometimes just the heads but also it does depend on where you are fishing.DIFFRENT STATS FOR CATS.:)

8. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Do you need to clip off the spines, or just leave em on?

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    The size Mississippi Cats your lookin to go for I'd say 9-12 inches. For me the problem lies in casting the 11 inch plus ones out from the shore ;) !! I like to place a boober up above the bait that submerges to help keep them dancing for the bottom. The bigger they are the more commotion they will make and call in them Yellows better.

Channels even dance more.

I remove the barbs when I first get the Bullheads only to make them easier to handle.

10. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    same as everyone else 6-12 inches and always clip the barbs

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    anything over 6 inches. just remember to match your hook size up with the bait so there is plenty of hook exposed. Also I trim the tail fins to keep them from swimming for cover.

12. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Didn't even think about clipping the barbs. Thanks everyone

SudDawg

13. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I use 5-8 bullheads for rod & reel, 10-12 for setlines/limblines. I have no luck at casting 12in bullheads. If I can cast it it doesn't go where I want it to go or I throw off the bullhead.

I don't clip off the bard............I just break it right at the shoulder. The bullhead can still use the fin to swim, but he can't make it erect.

14. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you are tryin to advoid 10lbers youre gonna have to use 8-10in. bullheads. If you dont mind catching 10lbers a 4-6in. bullhead is the way to go. You dont have to have a big bait for a big fish. A 80lb. Flathead will eat a 4in. bait, I dont think they pass up any size of bait. As long as its alive and swimming.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I don't have a reliable source for bullheads around here so I use small channels up to a pound say 12 to 15 inches. I started out years ago clipping the barbs but quit after I had to release them after a nights fishing and they were still alive. I figured that they deserved to live and be used as bait another day if they survived all night on the hook. So now I leave the barbs on, they will have a better chance of survival. And anyway a flathead don't care if they have barbs or not. As for flatheads over 25lbs they can eat any size bait you can throw out. I had a near 4 pound drum last year that I thought was waaay to big for bait, but being thats all I had I tossed him out and caught a 25 pounder on him. I just don't think you can throw out a bait too big for a fish over 25 lbs to eat.

16. bluecatmaster

bluecatmaster New Member

State:
    oh
    i use the small ones no bigger than my hand thats the size that i use myself:)