What the? I had an experience this evening that is a first, changing lower unit oil!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by safetybass, Apr 22, 2006.

1. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I need some help. I had an experience this evening that is a first. Went to change my lower unit oil, and in a manner of seconds, I was wearing most of it. I was removing the lower plug to drain the oil from the lower unit. I heard a hiss, followed by the plug shooting out and right behind it was all my old lower unit oil. Still pretty warm from today's fishing trip, but it seemed to be foamy. Not white foamy like water, but full of air bubbles under pressure. And stink! oh my gosh. I had to strip down in the garage, throw away all the clothing I was wearing. Took me two hours to get myself and the driveway cleaned up (mostly).

Only thing I can figure would be exhaust leaking into lower unit gear case. Is that possible? No evidence of any leaking FROM the lower unit.

Background: 1985 Evinrude 150, last lower unit oil change January 2005. Fished about 5 hours today. Ran 15 minutes to get back to the ramp.

OK, this is where I am hoping Bob will tell me I should have waited more than 4 hours after running the engine hard before changing the oil. And that nothing is really wrong. :crying:

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Your not the first one to wear your lower unit oil.

I've posted before, when changing lower unit oil, always take out the top plug first. It relieves the pressure that can build up in there.

That old stuff sure stinks, don't it?

3. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You mean, nothing is really wrong except I'm an idiot? That's great news! I think. While we're on the subject, is it normal to have that kind of pressure build up in a lower unit? This thing blew oil on my truck 8 feet away. AND - the reason I decided to change it was to check the lower unit because I noticed a resistance to free spinning the prop in neutral. Now that I have removed the grease, the prop spins just fine. ????

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I know it's normal for them to build up pressure. It won't take much to squirt oil out of a small hole 8'.

I was warned about doing that in school

Put in new oil and check the resistance.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Larry I know it ain't funny but I would love to have seen the look on your face when it happened. :) With the lower unit under pressure at least you know it ain't got no leaks.

I use synthetic oil in my lower unit because I get less foaming with it.

6. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    According to Mrs. Safetybass, you couldn't see much expression, just oil. :blink: I had to knock on the front door to get her to help me get clean clothes. She was still :haha:this afternoon while I was cleaning the drip marks on the sidewalk. I can still tell where my legs and one hand were on the concrete of the driveway. The legs created protected areas, and the handprint in oil is unmistakeable. Next time I will let more pressure out the top plug. I cracked it open first, and it hissed at me a little. I must have tightened it back as a reaction instead of letting it finish. I'm just glad I still had my sunglasses on. Took me a while this afternoon to get them clean. I'm still working on my watch band. I was sitting in church this morning and I kept smelling that nasty oil. Couldn't figure out what part of me I missed yesterday in an hour long shower. Wasn't til I got home and took my watch off that I found the source of the smell. Had a black oil ring around my wrist again. That's when I remembered I only wiped it off with a paper towel. Spray carb cleaner, followed by soap and water, should do the trick.

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    put kitty litter on driveway. let soak up oil for a day or so. ialso heard about washing drive with vinger. don't know though have done that laterly. we learn from our mistakes. good luck , catch ya later lenny

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Get a can of mineral spirits to saturate the oil spill on bare concrete, then use the oil-dri/kitty litter to soak up the mess. It'll be almost like new.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Have to admit that is the first time I have heard a member so happy to discover that he was an Idiot!;) Last oil change Jan 05,hmmmmmmm,I think I have seen Bubba, Bobpaul and I post at least 100,000 times that it is a good idea to do it at least TWICE a year.Your choice, and I would use the synthethic which costs a little more but is more resistant to heat and foaming.None the less alls well that smells er ends well.:) ;) :cool:

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The people in this world that never discover that they are Idiots are the unhappy ones,who go through life sharing their misery with everyone.This idiot has been covered with many things in his 40+ years as a mechanic.Oil is one of the "nice" things.The following is from my old "HAZWOPER" and "HAZMAT" training over the years.Oil dry or kitty litter will take out oil stains that have been there for years.Just keep changing it as it gets dirty.A small amount put down weekly or even monthly,and rubbed in daily with your shoe (ground into a powder) will eventually remove it.It make take months or even YEARS if it is old or a large amount has soaked in.Don;t give up.It will slowly and gradually go away."Dawn" liquid dish detergent was approved and used as the best thing for clean up of oil soaked wildlife.These things will work for you.Peewee-williams

11. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Oils well that ends well I guess. Glad you werent hurt. Bet that stuff is real nasty in the eyes. They make a product that you pour on and lifts the stain out. I get it at car part shops. Looks like white paint. Works pretty well and is easy to clean up. We always used Tide and a push broom when I grew up at my dads shop.

12. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

I don't believe you said that.......:rolleyes:

ST

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Larry, I know how you feel.

Several years ago I got drenched in ethyl mercaptain, that's the stuff they put in Natural Gas and Propane to give it odor. I had to take a bath in Ajax to remove the skunk odor. Good thing it happen years ago for now mercaptain is on the hazardous chemical list. ;)

14. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for all the tips. I actually used sand to dike, oilsorb to soak up, and I taught Mrs. SB the "grind it in with your foot" trick. If you know what you're looking for you can still see where it happened, but you have to look. Three trash bags went to the local dumpster with oilsorb and clothes. I can't believe how much mess less than 40 ounces of oil made. I've cleaned up leaking 55 gallons drums and tractor saddle tanks that didn't make this much mess. I believe I will follow that advice on twice a year and synthetic oil. I'm thinking it will be cheaper than another one of these events.

15. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for all the tips. I actually used sand to dike, oilsorb to soak up, and I taught Mrs. SB the "grind it in with your foot" trick. If you know what you're looking for you can still see where it happened, but you have to look. Three trash bags went to the local dumpster with oilsorb and clothes. I can't believe how much mess less than 40 ounces of oil made. I've cleaned up leaking 55 gallons drums and tractor saddle tanks that didn't make this much mess. I believe I will follow that advice on twice a year and synthetic oil. I'm thinking it will be cheaper than another one of these events.