Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys need your help. I'm new to the game and went out the other night and only landed 1 out of 12 good bites two of which doubled my rod. I was using Gamakatsu 9/0 circles when the rod was doubled over. I was trying to just let the fish "hook Themselves" Changed to 10/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Still no luck What hooks or Method are you guys using??????

· Registered
37 Posts
Had the same problem on Jordan the other day, had to set the hook myself. Was catching one and two pound channels and if I let them hook themselves they were gut hooked, and hookups were few and far between. When I started to set the hook myself I got everyone that tugged on the line. Was using 3\0 Owner off-set circles. This was the first time with circles that I had to do the hook-set.
Dave

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Searching for a Flathead using cut bream heads. Friends in the area report 25-40lb flatheads. Had plenty of hook exposure. the one fish we did land was a 4-5lb channel with the 10/0 Gamakatsu Octopus offset hook.

· Registered
7,094 Posts
Here's the deal; no one here can tell you why you did not hook up. Odds are it had little or nothing to do with the style or brand of hook. It could be your fault, it could be the type of fish making the strike. There is just not enough information to make a determination.

Simply put, you don't, won't, can't, and should not expect to catch every fish that touches your bait. Furthermore, one outing is not enough time on the water to determine if what you are doing is right or wrong.

Here is what I can tell as fact. I use Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks exclusively. It is the only hook I use and the size is determined by the bait, usually from 5/0-8/0. I catch about 1,000-1,500 catfish a year on these hooks. Simply put; THEY WORK! I would strongly suggest you switch from the hooks you mentioned to the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle.

Sure, I don't catch every fish that touches my bait, but that is just the way fishing is my friend. Over many trips in different conditions I can honestly say that no hook will do any better.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
Gamakatsu Octopus Circle.

I just gave away a bunch of 8/0 have tried them for two years and had fish slam rod down and hold it down and not hook them.Went back to J hooks and started catching fish.Will never tie on another circle.

· Registered
7,094 Posts
"....tried them for two years and had fish slam rod down and hold it down and not hook them...."

Yup. That will happen with any hook. Sometimes the fish don't take the entire bait and hook into their mouth, and there isn't anything you can do to stop that. Gar are also another culprit of the "slammed it down and did not hook up" problem.

Furthermore, and most important, for catch and release /CPR the circle hook is best for the fish.

Listen, I know not everyone is willing to change, but I have put close to 300 catfish in the boat this MONTH, and all of them came on circle hooks. They work, trust me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.