What the heck's stealin' my bait!?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mattoonboy4, Jun 20, 2006.

1. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hey everyone, this is my first question cuz i just joined, but im havin a problem with somethin stealin my bluegill. is it gar? is it bowfin? is there a way to hook 'em to lessen the chances of a stolen bait? thanks.

2. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    if it picks bait up fast then releases it when u try to set the hook, its probly gar.

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    if you are not getting any bites, but your bait is gone... it could be that you are casting it to hard, or using too much weight and the bait is coming off when the bait is hitting the water... happens to me sometimes with shad.

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    First of all WELCOME to the BOC, second you have a case of BAIT RAPIERS it could be gar or a fish to small to take it and it could be turtles, either way they are raping you of bait.

5. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'd blame turtles

6. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If the bite is slow it is probably a turtle. I hook live bait behind the dorsal fin abouta third of the way down. becareful of the spine (backbone) if you hit it the bait dies. you can also hook throu the nostrals or the lips. i have hooked thru the belly when bottom fishing. This way hook is under bait for a more natural presentaion as fish swim up.

7. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks a bunch everyone. i wasnt specific enough tho cuz i was meanin i was settin bank poles, but i'm sure your answers apply to either. thanks again.

8. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC. I'd say probably gar but don't really know the waters you fish. If it is gat the only thing I've found that works is to move spots.

9. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i fish the river and there are an incredible amount of gar here it really gets bad this time of year. its so bad you can spot light the water and see dozens of them. they are fun to shoot at but the like to bait rob.

10. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    We don't have many gar around here but we do have snapping turtles and they love chicken parts! I have lost numerous hooks and such from those things! It must have figured out where we fish and related that to free chicken liver handouts! LOL Best of luck to you!

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Frist of all WElcome to the BOC. Best place to spend your spare time and a wealth of knowledge on here. Second if you have as many gars there as you say I'd say your problem is most certainly the good ole GAR. Not much you can do about that except maybe find a new place to fishfor awhile. Don't know if that will do any good either. Seems like I've been catching Gar every time I go out this year. Worse than past years. What river you fishin in in IL?

12. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

Sure sounds like Gar to me, them things will rob ya all day long.

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    SORRY ABOUT THAT i GOT THE WRONG STATE. (Darn first mistake I ever made) yea Right.