What the heck???

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by copster, Jun 18, 2008.

1. copster

copster New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hello all, i am wondering what the heck is going on? i have fished the pee dee river for several years. maybe call it luck or i dont know what. i used to pull up to a log or tree trunks sticking out the water on the deep side of the river and put on cut eel or some type of cut bait and catch good cats. that was 2 years ago. last year i caught nothing. this year caught nothing. what am i doing wrong. do i need to find the deep holes or trees or sallow side. i just don't know. i need help i guess is what i am trying to say. any tips would be great. i usually put in a dewitt bluff and go up river a couple miles. i fish early morning, middle of day and afternoon. HELP I WANT A CAT... i just dont know how to fish i guess. thanks for anything you can give me

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't know the river myself, or where you are fishing, but we have been in a heck of a drought for the last couple of years. I bet that has something to do with it.

If you are far enough down river, you may actually be fishing in some salty water. If not, maybe the fish have just moved to deeper areas in response to low water.

Anyway, there are several gentlemen on here that fish the Pee Dee well, so I'm sure they will offer some help.

3. countryboy1616

countryboy1616 New Member

State:
    Darlington, S.C.
    William I struggle myself, ever once in a while I can catch a few small ones which I do enjoy eating but it's not that often. I want to go with James or Bill or ? in order to get smarter. Maybe we could get together soon and go.

Rohn

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The fish are still there you may just need to move around more. I will say that 7-8 years ago before there werte 3 million limb lines a night set you couldnt beat the fish off the hook but now you have to hunt a little harder. Come out to a Pee Dee Catmaster meeting and hook up with another member that fishes the river alot and maybe learn a few tricks. Next metting will be on July 8th. I will be more than happy to carry anyone fishing to show them how I fish anytime.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'll admit it has been mighty slow at times this year.
    Bill in SC

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good advice from some good guys here so far. I'm sure you'll get more!

I just wanted to say Welcome to the BOC!!!:big_smile::cool2:

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    And a welcome to the BOC from Missouri also.

8. copster

copster New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks alot guys. i hope i do get more help. i may just take you up on the offer to go to the meeting. let me see what i am doing that day. are the cats just slow this time of year or in the holes. it is hard to figure out. i do want to help do anytnig i can to stop the practice of limb lining. o well please anymore info would be great. maybe just stop dring beer on the boat..hahaha never..:smile2:

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Once the water temps get above 80-85 deg the fish do feed less and with these low water levels means low oxygen levels and with the water temp being close to 90deg it really slows the fish alot. Fishing at night is usually alot more productive during the summer and I will use the run-n-gun method. I put the rods out and if I havent caught a fish in 15minutes off to another hole the more holes you hit the better chance of finding and catching feeding fish.

10. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    patience thats what it takes when fish get hot an lazy dont fish unless you see fish then be patient they will bite now or maybe two hrs who knows find a lot of holes that hold fish an give them at least an hr then go back thrue them they will bite.but im a drifter what do i know.roundhill