What the heck is this?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Kutter, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I planted 3 types of cuccumbers this year. Straight Eight, Yard Long and Sweet Success. I got the seeds from Henry Fields seed catalog, a company I have used for over 25 years. I have one Yard Long plant that produces the typical cuke as it always has in the past. ALL of the others are producing the ?cuccumber? that is in the attached photo. These are all nice long, 18-22 inch cukes, but with the weird color and skin. They are wrinkled like a squash and light green to yellow in color. According to the pictures in the catalogs, Sweet Success is very simular to Straight Eight and Yard Long, both of which I have been planting for years. All three should have very dark color green skin and some small bumbs as is commom with most cukes. Has anyone seen anything like this? I doubt that seed would have gotton mixed up and put in the wrong packet in all three cases. If it were not for the one normal plant, I would think it might be an enviormental problem such as to little water or something in the soil. I use NO fertilizers or bug sprays, so that rules that out.

Any ideas?

2. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    It looks like a type of oriental cucumber. Most of them are long and slim like those

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Looks like zucckinne squash or bannana squash. Cut one open and look at the seed and the show us.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Sorry I didn't mention earlier, I did cut one open and it is one fine tasting cuccumber. Looks and taste is what I would expect.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Definitely a variety of oriental

6. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    I looked on the Henry Fields website but did not see any cukes that looked like these so no telling what happen to your cukes.

7. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I dont' know either but at least they taste good!
    I'm wondering if maybe they were not mis packaged....
    I bet you can go to their web site and send them the pics and get an answer.

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Nuke qukes, didyou find crop circles near them? couldn't resist. I don't know I have grown them in years. I wonder how they will pickle.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I think they are called three legged cucumber I don't know if that is a local name are a genus name its a cross between an english and oriental. I can't say for sure but that's what it looks like.

10. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    What ya have there is an heirloom variety called Cucumis Melo or commonly known as the Armenian Cucumber. I believe it dates back to the 1400's

At the outdoor organic market we sell at every Saturday one of the farmers that grows heirloom vegetables had some of these last week and I got a taste. They stay sweet even when they get too big she said. Be sure and save some seeds for next year!

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    There you go, Wild Bill. You hit it correctly. I did some research after reading your post and sure enough, it's an Armenian Cucumber. I have ordered Yard Long before, but apparently, there is a variety called, Armenian Yard Long, which is what I got. Two different species, but with simular names. Info I got now shows that it is actually closer related to melons than cucumbers. If my wife prefers it, I will most definitely save the seeds.

Attached is another photo of it, I found on the net.

Thany you very much, it sure had me baffled.

12. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Wow, have never seen anything like it. Pretty wild looking. But, alot of cucumber for the salad right there.