What the heck did i catch??

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by rcneman, Feb 20, 2007.

1. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I've been fightin off spring fever for a bit now. The last 2 days of warmin weather was more than i could take though. Work has slowed down a lot this week, which is abnormal, so i left work a bit early RACED home, dropped my work vehicle, let the dog do her thing ...jumped into my truck and raced to the river for some bank fishin.
    Had some semi-fresh skipjack. Cut a couple of them up and chucked them from the bank by hand, then I put out a couple rods with various pieces of cut skipjack in the same area. very little current on the river, but it was up a bit since that last time i had been to this spot.

Anyways, had one good hit...then nothing. Pulled my smaller rig in and decided to go weightless because of the lack of much current. Cut up my last skippie and worked what guts i could onto the hook and chucked it back out to the same area.

A friend called on the cell and we talked for about an hour. Decided i should go home and get some sleep....was a good night on the river, just not for the catching. My boxer was tired and ready to go home too....lol
    So i pull in the smaller rig and know i have something on it. nothin big, but there was more weight than the small amount of guts i had stuck on the hook.
    By the way on my bigger pole i reeled in a 6 foot long piece of thin aluminum, the hook got caught in a small hole that was in it...strange!

So i get the smaller rig in and there is one of the strangest catches i have ever had on the small hook i was using. It looked a whole lot like an eel. was about 10-11 inches long, had a tail like an eel or water snake, but it had 4 small feet, 2 in the front and 2 near the rear. It's body was around 2 inches in diameter from the head to near the tail area, but thinned out quite a bit as the tail formed. There weren't any dorsal fins, actually it had no fins of any sort that i could see.
    I forgot my camera, I REALLY wished i had brought it to shoot a couple pics of this thing. Anyways.....

WHAT THE HECK WAS IT??

I really do not have a clue! Thought i might have caught some type of thing that Darwin would have been interested in..LOL

Anyone know what it was?

I've only been home long enough to ditch my fishin clothes and write this post. WIll do a bit of searchin on the web tomorrow. gotta get some sleep and all...heh

at least i didn't go home smelling like skunk..:big_smile:

later
    robert

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Water dog, Mudpuppy, Salamander, All the same! That is what it was, they are great flathead bait.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    what you caught was the larvie stage of the tiger salamander.some people call them mudpuppys but here in arkansas they are caled waterdogs.real good fish bait for about any fish in the water thats big enough to eat them.

4. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    i'm really gonna have to try fishing with a waterdog i keep hearing they are good.....well,i have tried but never did any good but i just learned while i been a boc member i was doing it all wrong

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
  6. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    thanks for the info. that link was very helpful charles.

I guess i had gotten used to seeing geckos/lizards out west all the time...lol They have a much less 'fishy' kind of look.

EDIT: from the link, it looks like some people have them as pets in an aquarium or something. Maybe i should get a small aquarium and go back with smalll hooks and try to round some up for bait....dunno

thanks
    robert

7. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Excellent bait for Pike also!

8. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    I didn't think those got that long. sure it wasn't a hellbender?
    :eek:oooh:

9. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    I'm thinking it is a hellbender too.

10. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Ive seen these before for sale as bait in Nebraska. A buddy of mine showed up at our campsite with three of them and I didnt know if I should cut them up for bait or not. My buddy rigged up two hooks on it, one through the head, and another through the tail. We never did catch any fish with that thing, but it sure was awful looking!

I did find a link for hellbenders.

http://www.hellbenders.org/

11. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    well after checking out that hellbender link, i'm not sure which it was. The coloring of the hellbender seems more likely as to what i caught. The feet seem to be larger though. The overall body style matches much closer. I do not remember seeing the exterior gills that the mudpuppy's are supposed to have.
    It was dark, i was reelin in to leave and did not look at it for a long time, so i can't be sure. It was one of the few times i didn't take my digital camera...argh!!

cyas
    robert