What test# power pro?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by brinley45cal, Feb 18, 2008.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ok all you power pro users.i have a question what pound test line do you use and why?Im thinking of putting some on one of my reels just to see if i like it.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i like using spiderwire myself 50lb and have good luck with it and like the other post i just cant afford to spool my line and the familys all together we have 12 poles for flaties and it would get costly

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I use 65-80# I love it but it can get expensive. 150 yds 80# is around $18 and you can get a 1500 yd spool of 80# High visible yellow for $140. But when pulling those big flats out of hang ups it comes in handy.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I use 100lb test. It is expensive initially, but guys I know that use mono change line twice per year when mine will last 3-4 years, kind of lowers the cost considerably.

5. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Power-pro is like alot of other stuff! It has certain applications that its better in than other stuff and vise-versa! Remember to use mono for a shock leader (no stretch)! I use 80# power pro on all my ANCHOR fishing rods and 10-40# on my DRIFT fishing rods(smaller dia. line lets you use lighter weight to have contact with the bottom) If I used 80# on my drifting rods I would have to use 6oz or more to keep contact with the bottom, with 40# I can usually fish with 3-4oz.:wink: If you hook into a MONSTER drifting you can follow the fish and get some of your line back, easier than throwing the anchor and chasing the fish, so 40# is strong enough (providing you have good drag set-ups on your reels)

6. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    I usually use 50-65# test. Don't feel the need to upgrade unless I hook into some real fish this summer.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have 24 abu 7000s spooled with 100# power pro I know its expensive to start with , it took me 2 years to do them all but it last for several years ,the reason i use 100# is I want to see what I catch ,its the same size as 20# mono and cast great . I really like it and wouldnt use anything else ! hope this helps GOOD FISHIN !!!:wink:

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I just started using it last summer and really like it. I run 65 lb. power pro on my tournament reels and use 50 lb. premium salt water ande for leaders.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Great info folks thanks.Im a cajun line kinda guy myself and have never used braided line so i thought i might give a spool of it a try i just didnt know what pound to get.I got a gift card for dicks sporting goods for like 25 bucks ive had since christmas and thought it wouldnt really be costing me anything to give it a try.

10. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use 50lb. mono. 80lb. mono leader.

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    It's all I use but I wouldnt use anything less than #50. Easier to grab, knots are easier to tie and also the abrasion factor is a lot better with line heavier than the #50...just my 2 cents.

-Jim-

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Do you guys buy on e-bay ?

13. CRORUPT

CRORUPT New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Depends on if you want to chance losing your cat. Lower test # lines for bigger fish require you to let the fish fight for longer which can be more fun unless you lose your catch all together.

14. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Just remember when using braided line you want to use a palomar knot. There might be some other knots that work but thats what I use. I learned the hard way I was using the fishermans knot years ago and was loosing all the big cats over 25# to the knot and had never had a problem before with that knot so I talked to an elder fisherman that knew what he was talking about and he told me to always use the palomar knot on braided line or it will slip on the big cats.

15. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i like using the 65# power pro. you can cast well with it and it will hold up to pretty much anything. i caught a cat that wrapped me up in a log about 10 ft long. i wound up pulling the whole log in. i have seen the 80# but dont really care for it. looks to much like bailing wire to me. i have also used 50# and it is very flexible. use it on my channel cat rods and my flippin stick.

16. Baitcutter

Baitcutter New Member

State:
    VA
    I just starting using the 65# Power Pro, works great and my 6500's hold plenty of line due to the small diameter of the braid.

17. fishin addict

fishin addict New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I heard the palomar can slip too, & to tie a palomar but wrap the loop twice instead of once & it will never slip.

18. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I use 100# and 150# green power pro only

19. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i use 20lb test because i fish from shore and its the perfect combination thin,strong and no stretch.

20. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have some 15 pound Power Pro on my spinning rigs for bream, crappie, and perch, and that stuff is almost too thin. The really light weight stuff, 8-10 pound, was too dang thin to mess with so I went with the heavier line.

I have 20 pound on one of my Abu Garica 5000 baitcasters that I use for casting to stripers that are busting the water.

I do not use Power Pro on my catfish rods. I just can not find a good reason to use it yet. I can land any fish in the water with 20 pound, so there is not real need for the added cost and problems with 50-80 pound.

I am considering adding it to my Abu Garcia 7000's and 9000 for some saltwater trips this summer. The added capacity would be welcome and some security.

I am still open to suggestions and convincing on why I need it though for my catfish rods!! :big_smile: