What test line do you use for drifting for blue catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by kitsinni, Oct 16, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a couple different setups I use drifting and I am not sure which I like better. I have one with 65lb power pro and a couple with 25lb big game. I feel like you don't need as heavy of line when you are drifting because you are typically hooking the fish in open water. I do feel a bit more confident with my power pro but my biggest fish have all come on the mono. I don't have a problem with my line breaking, at least while drifting with either. What do you guys use for drifting? Are there any advantages to one or the other I might not be thinking of?

2. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    I have 30 lb with 25 leader and 20 lb with 17 flouro leader. My hook up has been 3:1 for the 17lb.Some of this may be because I manage the lighter rig more intensely this being the one I hold with my one good eye on the finder. I have not broken off above the dam. For me I love the fight.

3. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use 30 pd mono with a 40pd test mono leader. I also use 65 pd braid with 40 pd mono leader. I have never had a problem catching fish on either and I don't get broke off. My buddies use 20 pd and they do get there line broke from time to time. They just wont change. I use this while drifting on the lake. Seems to work really well for me. I use the braid for my poles that are the farthest out and mono for closer rods. Too much stretch can be a bad thing on certain days and with lots of mono out you may not get the hookset u want but I always use mono leaders. By the way the mono is andre high-vis yellow and the braid is powerpro yellow. I like to see my line.

4. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I use the same gear that I bottom fish with, set-up the exact same way.

20#BBG, 9-12" 30# leader, with a bank sinker above the swivel and a 7/0 Gama Octopus.

When and if I get into something that breaks the set-up that I use, then I might think about something else. Until then, it seems to work just fine. No need for overkill until proven that it's actually needed.:wink:

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is very similar to what I have been using. I kept getting broke off flat fishing but never for blues. I think the flats just hung around a tree and broke quick.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I use 30 LB big game, recently switched to 30 lb PLine - you should give the stuff a try, it's amazing.

I've had this line broken though. Had a rod load up, couldn't get to it, by the time I got to it, the fish had broken the line before it got out of the holder. Remember to set your drag right guys! :smile2:

7. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I like the braid. Because diamater is still small and you can feel every thing on it. Granted if you are verticle drifting you dont need no stinking feel. If I am dragging or anchoring though feel is criticle if there is a lite bite thing going on. I have caught fish that if it where not for the braid I would have never even known they where biting. Several very nice fish. Only occasionally but when it comes to one nice fish it is worth it to me. Also the braid last SO MUCH LONGER. After time just take it and switch the reals that it is on. Then the old exposed line is on the bottom and brand new line on the top. In fact I need to do that soon.

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I am feeling for bites I ALWAYS use braid. The feel is so much better it is not even comparable. I have found drifting vertical I get a few more tangles with braid than mono. I think it is because of the material and diameter it just tangles a bit easier. On the other hand it doesn't damage your line the way mono can get damaged in a tangle.

9. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I havent noticed tangles I have a bigger prob. With mono because of the memory. I have a friend that has tangles allot on the mono leaders with the braid, but I think that is because he leaves to much of the tag line on it. He will tangle 4 times than I will and I think it is because of the tag. I cut my tags to the quick. Thats all that I have come up with. Also if you do get hung I think the braid is much easier to brake the leader because you dont have the stretch. Also the heavier weight helps to get loose because you can use the sinker for a plug knocker when you are directly over the top of it.

10. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I forgott when I started using braid I was using stren and did have that prob. gave it away and went to power pro. Havent noticed it since I went to the power pro. Havent used stren in years. Dad bought some stren this spring and I took it off of his poles and put power pro on them for him. I also had a prob. with the stren braid coming apart. Also bought some stren 10# for sabaki pole cause I couldnt find power pro that small. I think it is JUNK!!!!!!!!!

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    100lb braid...W