What tent to buy?

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by FREESPOOL, May 27, 2009.

1. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Well, after waking up in puddles Memorial day, it's time to replace my 10 year old tent. I even had a tarp covering 90 percent of it, but it is no longer water, or bug proof.

So, i'm out for a new tent. I need a large family tent. Something that can withstand the wind and rain. My tent sits at our campsite on a 10x16 pad from May to November, so it takes all Mother Nature has to offer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a TOUGH, large family tent? I've been looking at the Columbia Cougar Flats II. I'm headed out again for the weekend, and I need something soon!!

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Airstream
    Coachman
    Winnebago
    Starcraft
    Jayco
    Fleetwood

3. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    lots of great tents, kelty is one of my favorites, but.....if you're leaving it outside all year, get a cheap one from wally world and spray the heck out of it with camp dry.

4. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    freespool , all i got to say is this ......... if that tent u just lost withstood all that for 10yrs ........ why u asking us what kinda tent to buy !!!!!!!!!!!!!! buy one just like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

5. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Kutter, I have to be able to load whatever I buy onto my boat. I have a primative campsite that is only accessible by boat. So those condos on wheels you name aren't going to cut it. LOL!!! Though they would probably fare the wrath of a Kuttercane much better than fabric and poles. :smile2::smile2:

Mickymoo, that's kind of where my research has been pointing me. I';m definitely not going to spend $600 on a North Face, or Kelty to let it fall apart in a season or two... I do want something decent though. We spend quite a bit of time out there over a season....

Good point Coach... LOL!!! No, the tent sat out there all last year. Last year was the first year we owned the campsite. In previous years, it maybe saw 15 days a year of camping. :wink:

I guess I just have to accept the fact that whatever I get.... I'll be lucky to get 2 seasons out of it.

6. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Well if you now own the campsite. You may consider dropping some decent cash into the tent. Might want to check on a 4 season tent such as the canvas wall tents. I know they are big/heavy and costly but if you only have to set it up one a year then its not to bad...

Another idea would be to buy yourself a tepee.

7. daeja

daeja New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Change that to Labor Day and you have our exact situation...haha. We had a Coleman that was about 15 years old. It was used only a couple of times a year but it has been a good one. I'm thinking I will buy a Coleman again. Hope this helps.

8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Since ya got your own campsite, how about taking the tent down when you ain't there and putting it in a sunlight proof box?

Maybe ya can get a military surplus tent, they are pretty durable but somewhat heavy and lots of pieces, but they might do the trick.