What Temperature Do Flathead Catfish Start Spawning

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by iluvnevaeh, Jun 8, 2009.

1. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I'm just curious as to what water themperature the flatheads start spawning. They didnt seem to become very active around here on the MO river until lately and the water temperature has risien fast and is now holding at 73 degrees and up and im curious as to when they will start spawning and for how long the spawn usually lasts. Thanks in advance !!!

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think they are starting to spawn now..Not all will spawn at the same time, so it can be a long process..I usually consider the spawn to be 4-6 weeks long.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I think this is as close as anyone could pinpoint the spawn. I'm thinking as the temps get to the mid to upper 60's they start to hunt places to spawn. then when the water hit around the 70's it goes full blown.

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I think it starts after the waters held into the lower 70,s for at least a week or two.:big_smile:

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I have caught flathead full of eggs in August in the Skuke (PA) and Santee-Cooper (SC)!

The majority will say the flats spawn in middle to middle of July, but I believe not all flats spawn in that time period and they spawn all throughout June, July, and August!:cool2:

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Ive always heard that they start the actual spawn when the waters hold temps in the 70's for a good period of time (a week I guess)...what I wonder now though, is wether the flatheads that are noty sexaully mature will go into spawn behavior and not bite during this time as well? Im still catching them and our waters have been holding the 70's for over a month now...

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    No you can catch immature flatties through out th spawn.
    You can also get fully mature flatties in waters with out structure to spawn in during spawn times. like featureless gravel pits, ponds and lakes that rivers have flooded flatties into.

8. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I think this is relevant, but I don't know if I remember it right. There's a time when you can catch them but they'll have battle scars. They spawn after that. Right before/during the numbers caught will go way down but there will be a few caught and the majority will be hogs. Then it really dies for a few weeks or a bit more. correct me please.

9. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

James I belive it's just starting here in NE....or at least at my house:smile2: she didn't lay that many eggs but I had to change the water when he was done!!!!!! I caught him in the act twice in what I call a shake....he was jumping out of the kiddie pool from shaking so much(I found him on my deck) I got high hopes and any that make it will be released...

Attached Files:

10. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    7/2 09 right now i think water temp high 70's low 80's the other day when we were out

11. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    If i remember correctly flatheads begin to spawn when the water temp is steadily around 75 and 80 degrees. might have to double check but I'm pretty sure that's it. here in iowa our flatties are in the pre spawn phase now, mainly catchin them around heavy cover day and night

12. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    How does the feeding change during the spawn for flatheads? Do they eat less? I had a great run on the Fox River in IL about 3-4 weeks ago up until last week. Catching flatties every trip.

The water temp shot up last week and I didn't catch a thing 2 nights ago. I attributed it to the spawn, but is it true that they don't eat much during the spawn?