What style,color,size of Sabiski rig is good for skipjack?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by BIGCATFISH64, Mar 11, 2009.

1. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Hey brothers, I was just wondering if anybody knows, what style, color or size, of Sabiski rig is best for catching skipjack? I've heard alot of good things about them, and am thinking about acquiring a few but don't know anything about them. Any info would be helpful. THANX

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Thanks for asking. I have been wondering about them too. I had never heard of they until I joined the BOC. I would like to see how they are rigged.

3. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Lots of people use lots of different ones. Some use jigs that they tie themselves. In my opinion the Mustad brand sabiki's in the "flash skin" color are the best sabiki's. I don't use them unless the skips are harder to catch or they are running smaller, when they are running good and are large I prefer octopus rigs and homemade rigs. When making my own I use maribou jigs from 1/16-1/8 oz.

4. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Ive always used just a couple of 1/8 oz jigheads with white jigs. I guess ill have to keep an eye on this post to learn something new.

5. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    hey guys be careful using those rigs in indiana.. some discussed them last fall... heres a quote about the number of hooks legal in indiana originally posted by IndyCatGuy on 10-6-08
    you can find this thread here...http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94196

6. Mean Streak

Mean Streak New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I belive that that rule applies to sport fish and the skipjack is a trash or bait fish. I have used the sabiki for several years on the Ohio and had CO's check my stuff and they say catch as many as you want. I use several different types and make my own. White or lighter colors work best but I always keep a pink, yellow, black, & blue colors around. I get mine from Kings Bait & Tackle in Mooresville. I use all the sizes. Early I use the larger ones and as the season goes on they get smaller.

7. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    thanks for that information mean streak... i wasnt clear on that law, so ive just stayed away from them... i prefer using a cast net for my bait anyways.. i may look into the sabiki rig though, throw it on my ulta light sometime just to play around

8. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Yeah thanks, that clarified that gray area thing that I had been wondering about!

9. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have only fished for skips maybe 5 times... But I beleive this is the best way to catch your skips... Tie on two or three of these jigs and start filling up the cooler. Most of the other guys do this too, thats where I learned it

10. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Skips are bait fish just like shad. Shad can be caught with a net eaisly but I was told that skips are too fast and very hard to catch in the net. I would think that if you couldnt use this rig then it would be very illegal to use a cast net. Besdies you would think you couldnt buy items that were illegal to use in these water from a store in this state.

11. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    You can buy them because laws change from state to state.. But just because it is sold here does not mean it is always legal to use in public waters

12. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Last spring I watched a guy just use a pole net and filling up buckets.Going try that when they start running good.

13. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    I wish I was closer to the Ohio.. But it cost like $17 for 4 shipjack at the bait stores here.. So I guess I could just use the $17 for gas and drive down to the ohio and catch enough for the year...

14. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I hav'nt been lucky enuogh to find a baitshop that even sells skipjack or I think I might splurge just once to see what all the talk is about!:0a32:

15. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    There is a bait shop here in mooresville that sells it... I dont know if they have any in yet... but I usally would buy some if I couldnt make it to the ohio... but with gas prices down it would be easier to just drive down and catch enough for the year