What Style/Brand Anchor do you use?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SmokinBarrel, Oct 28, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Since I've lost a total of 3 anchors over the years, and before I purchase another, I wanted to ask what type of anchor do you use on the Big Rivers? What type of anchor have you had the most success with, ease of retrieval, not getting stuck, holding power, rope/depth ratio, etc....?

I have used the Fluke style, and Chene anchor. I am considering either the Richter Anchor or Digger Anchor?

Is the Fortress Anchor "retreivable"? In other words, can it be pulled in a "reverse" motion to dislodge?

And, what about the Claw, are able to pull it in a reverse motion?

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Dennis I use one I made out of lead. It weighs a total of 24 lbs. I have no trouble holding my boat in any current. My boat is not nearly as big as yours. But it works well even in the strongest current in the Mo river.

Tom

3. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    Dennis get a pipe two foot long and four sticks of re-bar 1/2 inch three feet long and a large nut. Weld the nut to the end of the pipe and weld one foot of the re-bar to the pipe bending the other two feet towards the pipe great anchor

4. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a 35# richter which has been working for me but it can be a pain in the ass in certain situations.

I'm going to have grumper make me one of his home made jobs once he gets some time (hint hint :wink:). They seem to be the ticket in this area and are a heck of a lot easier to handle.

5. moav81

moav81 New Member

State:
    KC, MO
    I use a richter 25lb for a 17ft deep v on the MO river. Never had a problem with it holding. I use the anchor lift system so it's really easy to bring it back in and move to the next spot. You can't go wrong with a richter imo.

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use a cheap fluke style anchor with 8 ft of heavy chain and and always find a hold in sand or mudd on the MO river. For anchor en off rock dikes and stuff a heavy railroad flat or a mushroom seems to hang the rocks good but can get hung enough ya cant ge them out. Also seen some pipe anchors made with 2 ft of 2 inch pipe and a 16 in disk blade welded onto the back they are good for rock or sand.

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have a 20 ball of lead , but going to make some from concrete this coming year .

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    A 30 pound river anchor. The big "D" is muddy and I was sick of tug wakes breakin my spot. LOL!

9. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    i also use the cheap fluke anchor from wal mart... It works very good for me in sand or mud... I made a concrete anchor this summer that works good in rocky areas.. I used a old coffee can, stuck two 20in rods of rebar through the bottom making an X, then filled it with rocks and concrete.... Dont kno how much it weighs but it holds solid, and really can care less if i lose it...lol Just make another

10. Jerry Cline

Jerry Cline New Member

State:
    Illinois
    25# Richter Lost 3 this year

11. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    anyone got some photo's? I am having a hard time visualizing.

12. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I use the Digger anchor rated for 20 ft boats. I have never had a problem with this anchor holding even when I used it on a 22ft pontoo0n boat. When you get ready to go a sharp tug on it releases the fins so that it comes right up. I cdurrently have it on a 17 ft crestliner cx17.

13. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    None of the above...:eek:oooh::tounge_out::wink: We use "Box" anchors around here....I believe you can buy them from Cabela's for about 200.00 or get a good picture & make your own:cool2: I am telling ya they hold in the wind & current 20/72's all day long:wink:

14. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    look in the member library for the river anchor that mr. T posted...it holds very good and is very easy to make:wink: