What Structure do you look for?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Shallowdraft, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Shallowdraft

Shallowdraft New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Hello...I'm new to this site and am very impressed so far...lots of good stuff here. My question is what type of structure do you guys look for on a river and a Reservoir When setting up for Channel Cats, Thanks.

2. circlehook

circlehook New Member

State:
    NE
    I'm no expert at large rivers, but I fish in small-meduim rivers. In rivers look for holes. Alot of times logjams will occur around them. Fish up or downstream from the logjams. Also look for slack water and oxbows. Some people also fish riffles. Never tried it myself, but should sometime:wink: Dams are also productive, including low-head dams.

In reservoirs, look for many things... drop offs, sandflats, standing timber, sumerged timber, bridges, creek channels, rip-rap, dams, feeder creeks, anything that will collect fish.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    see my post down the thread list under(? for boaters) i dont feel like typing all that again. lol

4. Shallowdraft

Shallowdraft New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks guys..I get the idea. Pretty much the same structure as you would for other fish..Walleye, Bass etc.

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah, Mike... chances are them cats are in there feedin' on them Walleye, Bass etc....:lol:

Welcome to the BOC...

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Give according to your income, lest God will make your income like your giving.

6. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Most rivers in Texas are considered small to medium. Try fishing just below shallows or gravel bars for channels in rivers and creeks. They usually lay just below them to catch any food caught in the faster current. Channels in lakes tend feed in flats next to deeper water early and late in the day time as well as night this time of year.

7. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I don't fish rivers, but I'll give some lake tips....

1) If you see a boat house, chances are it's LOADED with channel cats.

2) At a spill way, fish where there is a log jam, or where fast water turns into slower water.

3) Fish drop-offs!

4) Fish where sunlit water turns into darker water.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, just look at articles and/or videos about finding bass in water over knee deep and it will work for the kitties, too.

9. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Holes with will hold cats.

10. Shallowdraft

Shallowdraft New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks guys..I like the lake tips as there are a few good lakes around here...tight lines.

11. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    in the rivers fish just up from the log jams log hold fish big and small i never blevied it but i tryed to day and man did it ever work log jams log jams:wink:

12. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Right now in the heat of the summer I rarely fish below 20 feet deep. Our thermocline is usually around the 22 foot mark. I'm catching both channels and blues on main lake humps, points and submerged timber near drop off's or ledges. Chumming with range cubes and soured grain is helping out as well. After about 15 minutes, the fish we're bringing up are full of chum and spitting the stuff out all in cooler and the boat.

13. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I look for stumps and log jams in 3 feet or less of water... year around! If the water's not froze, the channelcat are there.

14. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    ripple dams at the eend. inside curves will be good. also look for jams of logs and such. even the smallest will produce..

Good luck

15. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    I agree completely...plus watch for the cormorants , pelicans or flocks of gulls feeding...at places with any of the above characteristics:roll_eyes:

16. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I useually fish under bridges that goes across highways steams lead into the lakes or ill fish structure that has tress in the water,

17. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Often times the best fishing in a lake can be found real close to a popular swimming beach. The bite can be real slow, but the bikinis help pass the time.

18. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    timber bridge pillons rocky outcropping deep holes low dams cut banks stuff like that on rivers for me

19. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I'm with Jim now... Mark cant wait to meet you in person at Osage or Milford this yr. Your one funny dude!

20. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Lookin' forward to it Tom!!