What strength fishing line for Carp ?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by kyron4, Sep 16, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just curious what brand line and strength of line people are useing for carp fishing. I've been useing 12 lb Big Game , but may move up to 15 lbs. next year.

2. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    kyron4, I do not conform to the per-sae normal line choices when it come to Carp. I use Power-Pro exclusively and in the 50/80/100lb. line strengths.The 50lb. will work on most waters with silt or sandy bottoms. The 80lb. with a 100lb. shock leader is used for distance and also for waters with zebra and extremely rocky bottoms. This is a personal preference and as such is not what everyone else uses. You should be fine with the Berkley "BIG Game" 15lb. as I used this same brand until I changed to Power-Pro. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

3. Shizzam

Shizzam New Member

State:
    Lancaster,Pa.
    my choice is yozuri #20 for carp.

4. Pat Kelly

Pat Kelly New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Used to use 12lb Big Game. Got into some snags and upped to 15 and done good...15 has even worked well on the rocky and snaggy Upper Potomac River Have Power pro on a few rods but I'm not a convert yet...just keep it pretty simple.

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I normally fish for channels and such but have dabbled in carp fishing. I am using 14lb. Suffix Seige line with a 30lb flouracarbon leader. The Seige line is a bit stiff if you prefer a limper line use Suffix Elite.

6. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    id say either clear or cajun colored and probably 10 to 12 pounds since carp are spooky

7. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i like to use super light test for carp, nothin more than 6lb test, i landed a 30lb carp with a reel spooled with the cheepest 4lb test i could find.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I bet that was a great battle.

9. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I use 150lb test..but of course its also attached to a solid fiberglass arrow and a compound bow..:big_smile:

10. Pat Kelly

Pat Kelly New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I hear ya :wink:

11. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I use nothing over 8# and ususally on ultra light setup. I have caught many of carp over 15#; lost a few but touched more than not.

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use 8-12lb test. U want a softer rod with carp so that u have less "pull outs." I like my perch rod for carp and buffs. Only prob is that they have spooled me several times with it. I also like my bass rod with 12lb line on it. It is fun and gives that rod a work out too.

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Not sure what you mean by a pull out GMC. But i do agree love using my MH bass fishing rod for these guys makes it a lot fun. Yet just enough "power" if i need it. Also been trying out my cheap Ol whiskers catfish rod which is a real soft rod and that has been doing the trick. I personally won't go lower than 10lb test cause when these guys start to pull they pull. :tire:

14. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    i usaully use 15 to 17 lb big game test for carp well hope this helps:smile2:

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    17Lb Stren .. Great line, hauled in many a carp/cat on it up to the mid 30's on it...

16. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    I prefer 6-8 pound test. Gives you a great challenge and it's good practice for that big catfish or striper!
    Linz

17. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    My favorite carp rig is a 9' light action spinning rod with a good drag and 8# line.

18. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    an ultra sensitive rod with 4-6 pound test is always fun

19. TexDan

TexDan New Member

State:
    Texas
    For open water fishing I use 8 1/2' medium lite rods with 8lb Cajun Red on baitrunner reels. I have had pull out oroblems with my heavier equipment but sometimes you have to use it to cast far enough or survive the rocks and such. When I go heavy I use 30 or 50 pound power line on 10' and 12' rods on bigger baitrunners. The important thing is a soft tip on the rod so if a big one turns and runs you don't pull out. Carp have very soft mouthes and if they are lip hooked you better treat them gentle.

20. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use 6# vanish fluorocarbon, but you have to play them wayyyy out on light line.