What states have catfish laws?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KatKaller, Feb 11, 2008.

1. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I know Tennessee and Virginia do but what are some others? I'm talking about statewide regs not county lakes and the like.
    How many states recognized them as gamefish?

Thanks

2. LadyTurkeyHunter

LadyTurkeyHunter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I know you are looking for states that do have regulations, I don't know the answer to that, I can tell you Iowa does not...other than, you can not hand fish them, bow and arrow fish them or use a seine. You can have a total of 15 hooks in the water, thus 15 bank poles with 1 hook each, or 5 throw lines with 3 hooks each, or 3 with 5 hooks... or agrigate (spell check on that).. but you are also only allowed 2 fishing poles.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Ohio has a daily limit of one Channel over 28" and one Flathead over 35" allowed and a daily bag limit of 6 Channels on lakes under 700 acres.

4. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Most do, and the ones that don't should! It is rediculous that we can't consider catfish as a game fish and we as man, we most likely wait until they are endangered to do anything about it!

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Blues, channels and Flatheads are considered to be gamefish in Oklalhoma, and there are specific regulations which deal with fishing for, possession, and limits. It is everyones responsibility to be aware of the game laws and to comply with these laws. Phamplets are readily available at Walmarts, Targets and most bait shops concerning these regulations. It gets expensive to violate the regs.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    catfish are considered gamefish here in New Mexico,limit is 15/day,unfortunately no minimum size limit,see folks keepin itty bitty ones all the time [under a pound]

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    illinois has only site specific regs. statewide none.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    In Nevada Catfish are a Gamefish. We have Bulls, Whites, and Channels. Aint no Flats or Blues unless a Bucket Bioligist visited.

9. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    here in utah if you can catch it than theres at least one regulation for it. like the setlines cant have more than 15 hooks and only one set line. then the poles can only have 2 hooks or 2 lures the lures cant have more than 3 hooks and you cant use live biat except for craws and worms. and waters with musky cant have any bait over 1 cubic inch. thats utah for you.

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Dang!! and I complain cause Kentucky wont let us use any kind of gamefish or parts of gamefish for bait.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Here is Pennsylvania you can only catch catfish with rod and reel only. No jugs, trotlines, or bank lines.

You can keep 50 channel cats per day and all the flatheads you want! The PA Boat and Fish Commission advises to not release any flathead catfish.

12. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks guys, keep the info coming!

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I do most of my fishing in Oklahoma but live in Arkansas and both states have regulations in place for catfish.

14. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Texas statewide regs are 25 fish limit for blues and channels combined with a min. lenght of 12 inches. Flatheads are 5 fish limit and 18 inch min. Some community lakes and park lakes have site specific regulations. I don't believe there any lakes or rivers with maximum size limits in Texas.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Arkansas definitely has some strange laws. Catfish are considered game fish, and have a limit of 10 fish (any combo of blues, channels, flatheads) as long as you catch them with sporting equipment. As soon as you start catching them with commercial equipment, they are no longer considered gamefish. :0a28: On the Arkansas River system, you are allowed an additional limit of 10 channel catfish under 16" in length. Bullheads are considered to be baitfish, so there is no limit on them. Anchored juglines fall under the same regulations as trotlines, limblines, etc., but unanchored juglines have their own set of regulations.

16. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Here's the regs for Minnesota.

5 total Channel and Flathead daily limit. Only 1 over 24" and only 2 of the 5 fish may be flatheads.

Bullheads 100 daily limit. Bullheads are legal baitfish up to 7" in length.