what species of fish is this

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by kfire01, Jun 27, 2008.

1. kfire01

kfire01 New Member

State:
    texas
    First, let me start by introducing myself. I have posted a couple of times with out doing so. I live in Lubbock, but grew up along the Red, on the Texas side. I still make it back several times a year, and rod and reel with my dad.
    When I was a kid, (several years ago) my dad and I caught a couple of strange looking fish out of the river and I have always wondered what species they were. I have searched the internet looking for a information on fish species in Oklahoma, with no luck. The fish in question was white in color, scaled, with teeth. We thought they might be Walleyes, but I kinda doubt it now. We threw one of them in a stock tank, and you could catch him pretty easily with a top water lure.

I know, this is a strange question, but I was sitting here, bored, and thought about it again, so I thought I might ask and see if anyone had any ideas.
    Thanks in advance, and good luck fishing.

2. Giant SC Cat

Giant SC Cat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What you probly have is a white gar they love top water plugs and are rare!

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    If you can Kriss, post some pics of the fish so we can see what it looks like. I'm sure someone can determine what kind of fish it is! It sounds like it might be a gar with the info you posted on the fish. The pics will definently help alot!!:big_smile::big_smile:

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    it could have been a suageye or it could have been a sauger. pics would help

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if it dont have a long nose its probably a grinnel or as folks in la say a cyprus trout.

6. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Take some pics of the next one you catch and post it. I very highly doubt they are sauger or walleye if they are white. Three years ago I caught, in a cast net, a 1/2 lb fish with a body profile much like a herring or tarpon, but more compressed laterally, that was silvery/white and had huge needle like canine teeth on the bottom jaw. It had thin needle like teeth on upper and lower jaws but especailly prominent lower jaw "canine" teeth. I have searched high and low on the internet and at the library for any species resembling what I caught and have found no close approximation. As close as I can figure, mabey it was a released exotic aquarium fish? Anyhow, I think I speak for all of us, that we'd be interested to see a picture of your mystery fish.

7. kfire01

kfire01 New Member

State:
    texas
    Well, thanks for the replies. It wasn't a gar, and I don't have any pics. I'd love to catch another, if so, I'll post it. Thanks again for your responses.

8. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    what he said. i leanin his way.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think from your description of the fish, it may have been a mooneye. Here is a pic of the little critter.

Attached Files:

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

If thats what it was they make GREAT bait for Flatties and Blues!!!:wink::big_smile:

11. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes, that makes sense. It could be a mooneye or someone released a piranaha. Yes, I know ir sounds far fetched to be a piranaha but they have been caught in Okla before.

catman george

12. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Could this have been a skipjack herring? A white scalefish, round in cross section having sharp and prominent teeth, often reaching lengths of 26 inches in the Arkansas River. Check the attached picture...

Attached Files: